Pal or NTSC - Which one do you own? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old October 8th, 2004, 06:48 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Pal or NTSC - making DVD's.

As I'm waiting for FX1 to come out, I thought I should ask from you experienced users about which version should I get - PAL or NTSC.

How do you go about making the DVD's for both Europe and Americas?

When you make a DVD, is it just the difference between resolution that makes the DVD a PAL or NTSC.

Can it can be played on DVD players both in Europe and Americas[irrespective of being PAL or NTSC]!!!

If you have to convert the DVD from one format to another, what is better to shoot on - PAL or NTSC.

Thanks.
Cieonatechori Michelieve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2004, 05:57 PM   #2
Trustee

read the ntsc/pal info here: http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html

going between pal and ntsc is a nightmare... you can actually play pal dvd's on a lot of the newer ntsc dvd players here in america, but the frame skipping is pretty obvious in some scenes.

the only tool that i have found that works well is procoder, but i've only ever tested it going from ntsc to pal... don't know about going from pal to ntsc, but i'd be skeptical of how you are going to create the missing frames... try it and let us know.
Dan Euritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2004, 02:40 AM   #3
Major Player

PAL to NTSC with Canopus ProCoder works OK. Done it several times.

Best regards,
Arnaldo
Arnaldo Paixao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2004, 03:26 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks a lot Dan and Arnaldo. I'm confused as for which version of FX1 should I get - PAL or NTSC. I do not care at all about going the film route, all I want is to encode the DVD's which can be viewable on both systems for viewing across the globe.

Do you think if I shoot NTSC it will be easier and efficient to encode to pal, or the opposite.

Thanks
Cieonatechori Michelieve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2004, 03:28 AM   #5
Major Player

Just a suggestion... Maybe more use shooting PAL as it is of higher res than NTSC.. surely any quality differences would show less on converstion.....

I have a PAL FX1 but if you hang on until th enew year you can get a Z1 that shoots both standards....

Regards

Gareth
Gareth Watkins is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion