Real Life Experiences with Art Film Production - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old November 2nd, 2004, 10:48 AM   #16

I'm sorry, Jack, I never got it. My spam filter may have caught it, but I go through that before I dump it. Guess I missed it!

Jay
Jay Gladwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2004, 11:32 AM   #17
New Boot

<<<-- Originally posted by Bill Pryor : Well, I came from a film background many years ago and shot thousands and thousands of feet of 16mm, and shooting video at 24fps doesn't make it look like film. Lots of excellent low budget movies have been made with video, all interlaced, and they looked great. Not like film, but great. I have yet to see any DV movie shot 24fps, though I have seen some high end HD stuff shot 24fps.

I realize there's a big blitz to say you have to shoot 24fps to make anything worthwhile for theatrical projection. Sorry, but I don't buy it. -->>>

Didn't mean to say, that it would completely fool anyone and look just like film. However, the 24fps motion rendering is a major component of the film look. IMHO, all the films shot interlaced (many of which get de-interlaced) would all have benefited from 24p capture.
Old November 3rd, 2004, 01:08 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Quote:
60i DV can look very good but I would never mistake it for film. I just wanted to say that I sympathize with the people the thread starter is working with. There is a movement and feel to 24fps material that makes it the reason the majority of commercials, feature films, MOW's, sitcoms and still a good portion of documentary films are shot that way. If somebody comes to me with something they want to shoot in 60i, It's usually something that would work better in 24p or perhaps 30p. just my opinion.
I personally have a very difficult time seeing the difference between 60i and 24p for low motion scenes (i.e. dialogue). In my opinion 24p is overrated marketing hype for selling video cameras. I think people should focus on other differences between film and video that DO make a big difference.

Film advantages:
More exposure latitude. This gives more possibilities for lighting scenes and for color correction in post.
No video artifacts. When highlights in video are about to blow out, there may be color shifts.

Advantage or disadvantage:
Film has shallower DOF.
Film has grain. (Video can mimic this now, so video might have an advantage since it's more flexible.)

Video:
You can monitor video at a shoot and know what it looks like (instead of waiting for your film to be processed). You can spot mistakes on the shoot.
You can shoot a lot more takes since it's cheaper.
Lower cost and faster to shoot.
Better for run and gun/documentary shooting (can shoot over 12 minutes without having to reload film, smaller cameras).

For some people video can be better than film since you can shoot a lot more footage and let your actors improvise more.

Low cost (cheaper equipment, no processing costs, less production costs) also makes the art of moving images much more accessible.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion