Desincronized footage. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old October 26th, 2004, 04:02 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Desincronized footage.

I have the same scene recorded with 2 different cameras. However, as time passes, the action is desincronized. Why? No frames were lost while capturing. is it possible the cheap camera records in non real time?
Miguel Lopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2004, 05:11 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I came up with the solution. Because of the relativy theory, one camera goes closer to light speed and therefore, time passes slower!

:-DDD

Come on guys, any explanation?
Old October 26th, 2004, 05:15 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Wow, interesting concept. I don't know, some older cameras might have different speeds after a whole lot of shooting. Maybe wear and tear. ?

Never underestimate the power of a video camera!
David Bermejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2004, 05:21 PM   #4
Regular Crew

One is DVX100e and the other one canon mv600.
After 12 minutes, the footage of the panasonic is 2 seconds ahead. Why!
Old October 27th, 2004, 11:07 AM   #5
Major Player

tape glitch or capture error

You probably experienced a glitch or timecode problem in one of the tapes. This could have happened in camera while shooting, or during capture. Most likely, it was a bad tape or other camera glitch. If this happens again, have your camera professionally serviced.

I recently experienced a similar problem where after a certain point -- signalled by a loud audio glitch -- out-of-synch footage from two tracks became perfectly synchronized. Even though the timecode was solid, there was an obvious "skip" of some kind -- almost as if my assistant quickly pressed the Record/Pause button, but not long enough for the camera to stop shooting. I know that sounds weird, but that's what I saw, and I suspect that "shift" is responsible for my out-of-synch footage. After that audio glitch, the rest of the camera #2 footage (JVC GY-DV300U) matched up fine with my footage (Panasonic AG-DVC80).

I've synched my DVC80 footage plenty of times to GL-2s and another DVC80, and never had a problem. This was my first time synching with JVC footage. Digital is digital, so I don't think the brand of camera really matters. LIke I said, I suspect either a tape glitch or capture problem. If I really wanted to play detective, I could recapture the JVC footage and create a test project, but I don't have time for that. I will grill my assistant and see if he's had this problem with other projects using his GY-DV300U. After this, I'm wary of working with that camera again.

Good luck,

T.J.
Tim Borek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2004, 11:28 PM   #6
Regular Crew

is the DVX100 in 24p mode?

the canon only shoots in 60i (or perhaps 50i in this case) and if the DVX isn't set for the same, then the frame rates will obviously differ in postproduction.
Daniel Hollister is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion