DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Shooting a dinner (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/3413-shooting-dinner.html)

Jay Thompson August 28th, 2002 06:07 AM

Shooting a dinner

Hey all!

I need some advice from you seasoned pros. What is the best/most unobtrusive way to shoot a dinner? I am supposed to shoot a dinner this weekend in Atlanta with about 40 average joes and a handfull of celebritys.

I don't want a static, locked tripod shot, but on the same token I don't want to be poking around with a lens in someones face either. Any suggestions?

Also, I will have to use existing low light, any suggestions on Camera (XL1s) settings for such things?

Thanks!

Jason

Jeff Donald August 28th, 2002 06:56 AM

When are you supposed to tape? During a reception, I hope. It's a general rule you never take pictures of people while they are eating. Certain events, like weddings, may be an exception. But most people are embarrassed to be taped while eating. You never see images of the President stuffing his face or chewing. When I've covered events like fund raisers and awards banquets I tape as they are going through a line. If it's a sit down and they are being served I stop after a take or two of the serving. If there is a toast I'll get that, then stop until the plates are cleared. Dirty plates aren't very photogenic. Once everything is cleared the speeches and thank yous start and so does the taping.

Jeff

Jay Thompson August 28th, 2002 07:05 AM

Hi Jeff,

Yes, that was the general idea. I will be filming before and after, but still, I don't want to be running around with a camera from person to person cause its distracting to them and I need it to be 'natural'. Any advice on shot coposition to capture the most 'action' with as little as possible intrusion?

Thanks!

Jason

Jeff Donald August 28th, 2002 07:12 AM

How many cameras are you using and how will you be recording the audio.

Jeff

Jay Thompson August 28th, 2002 07:21 AM

Using one camera, and a Me66 Boom mike. I may forgo the boom all together due to it being more than I will have room to handle.
This is for a documentary and going by what we were informed of by resturant management we wouldn't have room to set up multiple cameras (even if we did have them to use) due to the amount of people in the private room.

Jason

Jeff Donald August 28th, 2002 07:33 AM

They aren't allowing much for creativity. Using the mic on the camera will limit you during the speechs. I would be on a tripod and set up in the back. If you walking around during the speeches you may miss important audio. If you could use a seperate mic for the speaker or podium or tie into house audio, you'd have more freedom to move about. During the reception, i'd walk about and mix with the crowd. People will be more concerned with the celebs than you. Try and get candids and good sound snipets. Get lots of cut aways for editing. If its formal, I'd wear dark trousers and white shirt. If very formal a jacket.

Jeff

Keith Loh August 28th, 2002 10:36 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Jeff Donald : You never see images of the President stuffing his face or chewing.
Jeff -->>>

You do, however, see images of the President puking in the lap of a Japanese Prime Minister.

Jeff Donald August 28th, 2002 04:17 PM

The cameras are always rolling, just in case. After all its only tape and you never know when you'll get something classic like puke in your lap. You just have to know news worthy. Eating and chewing, nah no way. But puking, that'll make the evening news every time. It is one of my favorite recollections of the first Bush administration.

Jeff

Rik Sanchez August 29th, 2002 05:50 AM

Jason, as to the dinner you have to film, it sounds like they are doing everything to you except tying your hands behind your back with rope. If it's in a dimly lit room, any way to set up some lights in the corners and just bounce the lights off the ceiling just to give a little more light, even with the slow shutter and gain turned up a little, you might run the chance of having the footage come out with some noticeable noise. I hope you have a wide angle lens, if it's that limited in space, you might not be able to move back enough to get a wide enough shot. let us know how it turns out, good luck, it sounds like a very challenging shoot.

Jeff Donald August 29th, 2002 08:34 AM

Sorry guys, we strayed a little beyond the guidelines that are posted for subject matter. I think appologies were expresed and accepted by all. I deleted posts that contained references to subject matter not pertaining to the issues at hand. Namely, Sanjuro1's taping a dinner. If you have questions concerning this read the f.a.q. by selecting the button above. Now, back to our reguarly sceduled posts.

Jeff