DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Shooting with a DVX100A and a XL2-Bad Idea? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/34331-shooting-dvx100a-xl2-bad-idea.html)

Hal Wolin November 2nd, 2004 01:17 AM

Shooting with a DVX100A and a XL2-Bad Idea?

In a few weeks we will be starting shooting of a film using DV Equipment.

The main camera at this point will either be an XL2 or an DVX100A with a second camera that will be either another DVX100A or an XL1S (due to budgetary constraints will not be able to go with a 2nd XL2). I realize that many people have suggested that we stick with one camera and go with "quality over quantity" however I would like to be able to shoot with two cameras. Our budget for a second camera is between 3k-4k.

The first camera belongs to the DP that is working on the shoot, and we would like to purchase a second camera that will match the look closely.

My first thought was to try and grab a XL2, since from what I've read it can shoot true 16x9 due to "16x9 CCD's" and that the DVX100A doesn't have this feature but rather "letterboxes" the frame.

Eventually this film will be shown transferred to 35mm and be shown in theaters. What is my best option for a 2nd camera to match the quality of the DVX100A or XL2 at this point?

Rob Lohman November 2nd, 2004 04:43 AM

I'd say the XL1S has too low a resolution to intercut with an XL2
or DVX on film. That would be my guess. Do you have every other
type of support gear you will need? If not then you have even
less money. If so, for what kind of scenes would the extra camera
be used?

At this point I don't think anyone has tested cutting XL2 16:9
footage with the DVX's, especially not with a film out. If you can't
test out certain scenarios I would personally look at shooting
only with an XL2 or use two DVX's probably.

Keep in mind that the DVX is much more noisy than the XL1S
(and certainly way noisier than the XL2) in lower light conditions.

p.s. I editted your post since it is dVx100a and XL2 instead of XLS-2

Dylan Couper November 2nd, 2004 07:35 PM

Keep the cameras the same and you will be much, much happier. I'd rather have two VX2000's than an XL2 and DVX100 and try and match them. The audience won't notice a lower quality look, but they sure will notice two different looks.

Laurence Maher November 3rd, 2004 02:46 AM

I also suggest using an anamorphic attachment if DVX-100. But beware the telephoto end gets soft! Do tests before shooting!

Hal Wolin November 5th, 2004 12:23 AM

Guys,

Any ideas what cameras would match the resolution and similar performance of a Panasonic DVX100A?

Any thoughts on the quality of the PD-170 in this situation?

Dylan Couper November 5th, 2004 01:22 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Hal Wolin : Guys,

Any ideas what cameras would match the resolution and similar performance of a Panasonic DVX100A?

Any thoughts on the quality of the PD-170 in this situation? -->>>

Sure, a Panasonic DVX100 non "A".

I'm a bundle of help today, ain't I? :)

Hal Wolin November 7th, 2004 01:44 AM

So it's pretty much been decided, the DP we hired as an XL-2. We will be possibly getting a DX100-A for the second camera, if we need one.

Any last minute suggestions???