Super 8 auto film scanner... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old August 29th, 2002, 03:39 AM   #1
Major Player

Super 8 auto film scanner...

Is it possible to get a super-8 film feeder/scanner thingi.

A thing that would auto feed through the rolls of film and scan each frame as it goes though.. basicly an auto process..

I would be very interested as i love the look of super-8 film... works really well to achieve certain effects.

Kermie
Zac Stein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2002, 07:07 AM   #2
Warden

I've never seen a home variety scanner for S-8mm. The usual way is to do it optically with an airial imager. The film is projected into the imager and a video camera is used to capture the airial image and then record to tape. The results are dependant on the quality of several factors. Camera quality, format, lens quality, imager quality and projector quality. The film can be panned and scanned, but that's not home equipment. Costs for those scanners runs into the tens of thousands of dollars.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2002, 10:07 AM   #3
Contributor

I've never used it, but looks kind of interesting...

http://www.moviestuff.tv/8mm_telecine.html

HTH,
Clayton
Clayton Farr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2002, 05:39 PM   #4
Major Player

if its important footage and you arent really experienced with telecine, its a safe bet to let a lab handle it. someone like pro8mm (www.pro8mm.com) can transfer super-8 to dv or any other tape format for that matter.

Casey Visco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2002, 11:07 PM   #5
Inner Circle

I just bought a "Cinemate 20" from Movie Stuff. Took a while as he hand-builds each unit.

Had to fine tune a couple of things but it works well. Right now I'm testing it with my XL1 and getting nice results. Sure beats projecting it onto a smooth white card. And there's virtually no flicker.

The model I got runs at 20 frames/second so the transfer is done in real time. The quality is very good. One problem I ran into is the shadows get crushed due to the video camera's dynamic range being much less than that of reversal color film. I'm hoping to solve that by using a Canon XL1s and adjusting the setup level to avoid crushing the shadows.

There's other models available which will do a frame-by-frame transfer directly into your computer, using Premiere's frame grab feature. It's probably the best way to do it but the process is obviously slower. Less stress on the film, I'd think, and the quality is supposed to be higher. You can adjust the speed later in software.

You can also use software to restore the footage you capture. I'm going to see what I can do with some film of a volcanic eruption here in Hawaii shot by my dad during a trip to Hilo, Hawaii in 1971.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion