Using tapes from different manufacturers - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old September 8th, 2002, 07:52 PM   #16
Trustee

"I recently read the following: "DVCAM tape has 50% less dropouts than consumer DV tape and was designed for the videographer who expects a higher level of quality and reliability."

Part of the 'equation"is the tape speed. DVCam runs the tape past the heads faster. In DVCan less info is written per inch of tape.
Bryan Beasleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2002, 07:59 PM   #17

Right, Bryan, but I was referring to the Sony DVCAM tape--the same size as used in miniDV cameras. It's their "profe$$ional" grade.
Jay Gladwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2002, 12:33 AM   #18
ThreeSixtyProductions

Just a couple questions about DVCAM tapes/cameras

The Sony PD150 Says it takes DVCAM/MiniDV, or does it only record in both formats. I thought the tapes where basically the same size but the DVCAM runs the tape though the heads quicker (greater track pitch). Am I correct in thinking you can use consumer grade MinDV tapes in the PD150? I thought the DVCAM tapes where larger in size. Does the PD150 take both.
Old September 9th, 2002, 12:44 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Most likely unles they changed it from the PD100. It is also a DVCAM camera and handles both mini-DV and DVCAM. In fact, it records in DVCAM on a normal mini-DV tape (which im not to sure is a good thing though, see my other post re. this).

/Henrik
Henrik Bengtsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2002, 08:13 AM   #20
Trustee

My point with regard to the tape speed was that it was part of the reason for the lower drop out rate on the cameras recording in DVCam mode.Capeche?
Bryan Beasleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2002, 08:19 AM   #21

Ciao, il mio amico. Sì, capisco.
Jay Gladwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2002, 02:25 PM   #22
Woodyfang

TDK tapes

thats interesting about the tape muddied by the edit deck which had been used for tdk tapes.

I was once told by a salesmen in the Duty Free shop of the Larnaca airport in Cyprus not to use TDK tapes, as they mess up many cameras

this guy is NOT the most reliable source (judging by his product range and what he knew about them), but this is an interesting coincidence...

Lighting Cameraman / Director / Producer / Music Producer / DJ / Web Designer / Visualist / Media Student / IT Tutor / Digital Artist

W00dy See, W00dy d00...
Hagop Matossian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2002, 03:42 PM   #23
Slash Rules!

I've had my XL1s since around last Christmas (maybe January, honestly can't remember). I didn't know about the caveat concerning mixing tape brands for a while. I've been using Sony Premium's steadily for all my projects except the first one I did for someone else.

Most of my gigs so far have been nonpaid, and in October I'll be doing a real honest to God paid gig that could lead to other if I don't choke. The guy I'm working for (it's Paul Sedillo -- also a member of this forum) uses Panasonic's exclusively, so I'll be using them too.

I want to know if I need to spend $100 to get my heads cleaned to make the switch. I plan to never use Sonys again after I do this, but it's still pricey.

Though I've had the camera for a while, I haven't actually shot that much with it. I estimate a week out of each month the camera's actually in use for other people or my own projects. So what do you people think?
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2002, 03:36 AM   #24
Warden

Hi Josh,

How many tapes have you had through the XL? Did you buy it new? If you have had only a few tapes (maybe 6 to 8) through, it may be OK to use a head cleaner tape. But my best advice is to have it professionaly cleaned. If you go the head cleaner route be sure to run a couple of Panasonic tapes through the camera before your shoot and check for any troubles. You don't want problems on your first big shoot.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2002, 09:38 AM   #25
Major Player

My XL1 is new, and I'mm on my 6th Sony Premium tape. I'm going to switch this week.
Old September 17th, 2002, 10:17 AM   #26
Slash Rules!

Yeah, I bought it new. I count 9 Sony tapes (though not used in their entirety) and two or three Panasonics from way back when.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2002, 03:07 PM   #27
Major Player

I think it is just disgusting that we have to put up with this kind of muck from the manufacturers. There is nothing like it in the normal world. Getting your engine cleaned every time you change from BP to Shell fuel????
Old September 18th, 2002, 02:51 AM   #28
Regular Crew

I wonder. I generally use Panasonic tapes with my XL1 though I have put a couple of Sony tapes through in the past. Recently I helped out a few friends do some editing and put some non-Panasonic tapes through, including a low cost TDK. What do you all suggest I should do? Stop worrying about it and just get back to using Panasonic tapes? Or use a Canon or Panasonic (if available) head cleaner, which I've never used on my XL1.

I loath fiddling around with gear if there's nothing wrong with it. I do suppose though that if I follow through with a docu I'm considering shooting abroad I should at least get the heads cleaned professionally. No?
Simon Plissi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2002, 05:23 AM   #29
Warden

It can't hurt to have heads professionally cleaned. It may give you a little peace of mind before the big shoot. The brand of head cleaning tape shouldn't matter. I carry one in my bag for emergencies.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion