DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Using tapes from different manufacturers (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/3474-using-tapes-different-manufacturers.html)

Hagop Matossian August 31st, 2002 01:15 PM

Using tapes from different manufacturers

I have read several posts mentioning that when using different manufacturers tapes one should get the heads cleaned in their camera etc. In particular Chris mentioned that I should use a head cleaning cassette before I shoot with two sony DVCAM tapes.

Is this really necessary? Are they so different from each other that I shouldn't go from using a box of Panasonic tapes straight to using a box of Sony tapes? I have worked with sound for a long time and never heard of anyone refurbishing their equipment before switching tape manufacturers.

I'm not questioning your experience Chris (which I'm sure is far greater than my record 8 days with my new camera!), I just thought I'd take your reccomendation and start a new thread on the topic.

Jay Gladwell August 31st, 2002 01:30 PM

Sony uses a "wet" lubricant, while Panasonic uses a "dry" one. Mixing the two can create "mud" on your heads. I've decided to stick with Sony, since that's what I started with. I was told that the cassette tape cleaner would not do an adequate job. The cost of having the heads and tape path cleaned, is not offset by the $1 savings per tape.

Hagop Matossian August 31st, 2002 06:05 PM

yuk, dont like the sound of wet lubricant.

I just realised I'm on sony tapes now, so I should be OK.

Marius Svendsen August 31st, 2002 06:18 PM

Could diry "muddy" head couse the camcorder to make any wierd sounds?
Becuase I bought my VX1000 used and I have no idea if the perosn before me used all different kind of tapes and Im only using Sony Premiums.
I havent yet bought a Head cleaning tape to clean the head...should I?
Any tips and help...up front, thanks!!

Jay Gladwell August 31st, 2002 07:42 PM

DV--From what I've been told, and by a few folks here, the tape cassette cleaners will not adequately clean the heads and tape path when it comes to switching tape type. The camera should be cleaned professionally.

Woody--I don't think the "wet" lubricant is all that wet. I presume it's a matter of relativity (as compared to the dry lubricant). I've been using Sony Excellence and not had one bit of problem.

Hagop Matossian August 31st, 2002 10:04 PM

yeh I thought as much... just sounds kind of slimy and unappealing in my brand new camera.

DV-DeAth - It would probably be a good idea to get the camera serviced if you got it 2nd hand. VX-1000 has been around for a while so its probably seen quite a lot of use, especially if its making noises!

Vito Zarrillo September 7th, 2002 07:43 PM

This may seem a little silly but, if I am using Sony Premium can I switch to another model of Sony tapes (example: Excellence)? Or will I have the "muddy"issue to deal with there as well?

This is a wonderful website. very helpful.

thanks.

Jay Gladwell September 7th, 2002 08:05 PM

No, it's not silly, and yes you can go from one "grade" of tape to the next, as long as they are the same brand.

B. Moore September 8th, 2002 10:13 AM

Hi,
I've used Sony tapes since day one, never had a problem till I put it in a deck that TDK tapes had been used. That use muddied the tape and made it useless. If I had started with a "dry" tape I would have stayed with it. Basically it's like this , whatever tape brand you start with, stick with it!

Bruce

Bryan Beasleigh September 8th, 2002 12:11 PM

"if I am using Sony Premium can I switch to another model of Sony tapes (example: Excellence)?"

The Sony premium and Excellence both come from the same tape sheet. The Excellence is cut from the centre of the sheet and the premium from the sides. The theory is that the coating will be more uniform in the centre. Or so I'm told.

Vito Zarrillo September 8th, 2002 04:19 PM

thanks a bunch

Thanks a lot. I really appreciate the quick responses. I will continue to use only Sony. Does anyone know of a reputable, reliable mail order place to purchase tapes?

Again, thanks.

Vito

Jay Gladwell September 8th, 2002 04:48 PM

I use Tape Resource at http://www.taperesource.com/
They have fast service, great prices, and fantastic customer service.

Jeff Donald September 8th, 2002 05:29 PM

Even though you don't see flashing banners (thankfully) and other obnoxious remiders, this community does have some great sponsors. Pro Tape http://www.pro-tape.com/ is a great source for all your tape needs. Give 'em a try. They have great service and prices.

Jeff

Jay Gladwell September 8th, 2002 06:33 PM

Wish I had known about them earlier. I just ordered a box of tapes. DRAT!

Jay Gladwell September 8th, 2002 06:45 PM

I recently read the following: "DVCAM tape has 50% less dropouts than consumer DV tape and was designed for the videographer who expects a higher level of quality and reliability."

What if one has used "consumer DV tape" for over three years and not experienced any dropouts? Does that mean he can expect a 50% improvement with the DVCAM tapes?

I can't help but think that part of the higher price for the DVCAM tape is the case it comes in. That fancy case has little effect on the tape's quality.