What cameras do they use on Getaway Aust. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old September 3rd, 2009, 04:00 AM   #1
Trustee

What cameras do they use on Getaway Aust.

Does anyone know what cameras are being used on the Australian show, Getaway airing on Channel 9.

Also what format do they shoot in.

Thanks
Simon Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2009, 06:35 AM   #2
Regular Crew

G'day Simon.

I bumped into a Getaway crew a little while back and they were shooting on Digi Beta.
Steve Elgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2009, 06:11 PM   #3
Trustee

Thanks Steve,
Wow, Digi beta, I would have thought something like the 700 for this show. How long a go was this?

Cheers
Simon Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2009, 09:32 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Nope. Good, solid and reliable Digi Beta...

Ben
Ben Longden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2009, 10:28 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Ash View Post
Thanks Steve,
Wow, Digi beta, I would have thought something like the 700 for this show. How long a go was this?

Cheers
About 10 - 12 months ago. But also saw a CH9 Sports crew still using Digi Beta and that was in May. You would think a large network like 9 would be up to date with gear, but you have to remember it is still very expensive for a company like 9 to upgrade a whole network of equipment. A friend who shoots freelance recently upgraded to a PDW 700 and with all the bells and whistles still cost almost $100k.
Steve Elgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2009, 11:51 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Its an expensive deal allright.

Up until around three years ago, WIN TV Victoria was still shooting with Sony Betacam SP.
In a deal worth six mil, where Sony bought back ALL their cameras, WIN upgraded to the XDCAM.

Until they bought XDCAM players, editors would have to dub to Betacam and edit at per usual, working in 4x3.

It was not till the following year that XDCAM players were bought along with Thomson Grass Valley software (a modified Edius), and the network went 16:9 shortly after.

I shoot freelance for NINE and Digi Beta is their choice of weapon, as is tape based Avid in the cut suites.

Colleagues at A Current Affair have just been equipped with the hig def XDCAM, and most newsrooms are moving to XDCAM as its a hell of a lot faster in story turnaround, (with the jurno having near immediate access to the MP4 proxies)

Filming during the bushfires, I noticed ABC were shooting using Digi Beta, and to be honest the pictures are simply bloody beautiful.

Ben
Ben Longden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2009, 01:35 AM   #7
Equal Opportunity Offender

A mate of mine works for channel 10 and he was telling me (when it came up for discussion) that only the programs that were produced for the channel and also sold to overseas customers were being shot on HD at that stage. The rest was still being done on SD.

The one that he mentioned in particular for already being shot in HD was Totally Wild.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2009, 07:29 AM   #8
Inner Circle

You can still buy Digi Beta cameras, it's an older format but it's 10 bit 4:2:2 with low compression. New camera models have been brought out over the years, the latest model can even shoot progressive and there's no point in throwing out good kit that can still create excellent SD images.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2009, 02:17 AM   #9
Regular Crew

I believe some of their crews also use xdcam 530's
Ben Ruffell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2009, 03:34 AM   #10
Trustee

I was thinking of going the 700 route and priced the fit out at around $100k. I decided against this and found an old f350 and use my EX1 which suites my clients so far. It's funny but all my work is still SD 16.9
Simon Denny is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion