just got 2 monitors for editing - how do I have 1 image wallpaper? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old December 11th, 2004, 01:00 PM   #1
Regular Crew

just got 2 monitors for editing - how do I have 1 image wallpaper?

Subject line says it all.
I now have 2 monitors and my wallpaper is the same on both of them. I have designed a jpeg file that is 2048 x 768. How can I get the left side of that image on one monitor, and the right side on the other?

- Bret "wasn't sure where this thread should go" Pritchett
Bret Pritchett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2004, 10:25 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

PC or Mac?

Please provide specifics. Thanks,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2004, 03:16 AM   #3
Regular Crew

PC windows 2000

NEC Multisync 1830
Old December 12th, 2004, 03:56 AM   #4
Regular Crew

just look at the rez you've set it up to be and make one image that size. PLace your image(s) where ya like, looking at that one image as two monitors.
Grinner Hester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2004, 06:31 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I"m not sure what you are saying to do. Should I have it as 2 seperate jpeg files? If so, how do I set the wallpaper for just one of the monitors? Whenever I change the wallpaper, it just hasd the same image on both monitors - not stretched over the two, but the same image on both.
Old December 12th, 2004, 08:46 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Hi Bret
Go to display properties/desktop. In there you have a choice between Centre, Tile,Stretch you need to apply the stretch mode.
Phil Holder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2004, 10:21 PM   #7
Inner Circle

The utility Ultramon can do this. I highly recommend it for dual monitor use as it gives you two taskbars.

http://www.realtimesoft.com/ultramon/

2- ATI video cards can't do the spanning mode. You can get Ultramon.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2004, 12:44 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Last post is correct. If your video card is an nVidia I think you have to go to the nView desktop manager and set it there to span desktop and there is a way to apply the larger desktop pic. With an ATI you need ultramon to do this.

I use ultramon. One of my PCs at home is an nVidia, and I still use Ultramon instead. It is a lot easier to use and configure, and for some reason when I reboot my PC the nVidia utilities would act weird. I'd have it set on this particular PC to cloning the desktops (not spanning), but when I would reboot, it would go back to spanning, and I would check the settings and the settings would not have the cloing option anymore! I had to tweak some paramters, shutdown & restart the nView manager, and then FINALLY I got it back to cloning instead of spanning. I got sick of having to do this all the time, so I just got a copy of Ultramon. MUCH better no matter what video card you have, and it is easier and more flexible.

You can set (in spanning mode) both desktops to have the same wallpaper, different wallpaper on each, or a single wallpaper spanned across the 2.

I think it's something like $25 or something. Can't remember.

Alex F
Alex Filacchione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2005, 02:24 AM   #9
New Boot

I run dual in win 2000, res 1024 x 768. I put my desktops together in photoshop and design em at 2048x768 then run them center as opposed to to tile or what have you.
Michael Wollen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion