b&w video at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old December 12th, 2004, 02:35 PM   #1
Regular Crew

b&w video

question ? i can make video b&d at edit . but lets say i want to play with the video a little . like change sky for more detail .would it be effective to take the video in b&w with filters or try to get the effect i want in edit .and if so would you just lowwer all the color settings lets say on dvx 100 or xl2 . thanks dp
Old December 12th, 2004, 02:40 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I would shoot in color as this will give your more options in post. Sometimes selecting just one channel of color or two (R, G, B) will give much nicer results.

The advantage to shooting black and white however is that you can see what you're going to get on the shoot. Of course, you could just turn down the saturation on your video monitor or use/rent a B+W monitor.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2004, 05:22 PM   #3
Regular Crew

thank you very much Glenn

one more question ? suppose i wanted to use a red or green filter witch will affect b&w in diffrent ways will it have the same effect on color if i make it b&w in edit . thanks dp
Old December 14th, 2004, 09:12 AM   #4
RED Code Chef

To the best of my knowledge, yes.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2004, 01:41 PM   #5
Regular Crew

thank you

i am going to play arround with some b&w and color with filters and see how it turns out . thanks again dp
Old December 16th, 2004, 07:06 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Also, read "The Negative" by Ansel Adams. When you use the color filters, also try the polarizer.

I've converted color to b/w and shot in b/w. If you shoot in color, don't be afraid to play with the contrast before you desaturate. Turn it way up and see the effect.

Now if you shoot in b/w you will have an easier time with the "Zone System." Warning! you will need a light meter to do it. But you get good results with his system. It's all in the book. The "Zone System" sounds complicated, but think of it as "white balancing" with "middle grey."

You can also apply filters to decrease the sharpness of the image. For my taste, I like b/w to remond me more of velvet than stainless steel. There is a very odd film entitled "The Marathon" that, AFAIK, was shot on b/w video. It is so sharp that I find it distracting.

Try lots of different things. Video is cheap and you can always use the "undo" button.

Joe
Old December 16th, 2004, 08:15 PM   #7
Regular Crew

thanks Joe

i have been playing with a few things both video and stills .i think Mr Lohman was right if you use a filter on color or b&w they look much the same at edit if you convert the color to a b&w that is .you know what i mean . thanks again dp
Old December 16th, 2004, 09:37 PM   #8
Major Player

It should be the same if changed in post
Old December 18th, 2004, 03:51 PM   #9
Regular Crew

It seems to me--correct me if I'm wrong here--that if you filter optically at the time of shoot with e.g. a red filter to get start contrast between cloud and sky, and if you expose properly at time of shoot, this will give you more information in your DV stream.

Thoughts on the physics of this?

Michael
Old December 18th, 2004, 08:06 PM   #10
Regular Crew

thanks for your post

maybe so but i think Mr Lohman is right . whether b&w or color when using a filter the results seem to be the same . one thing i did notice is that i have a few rolls of b&w 35mm that i have taken over the past few years the digital whether video or still dose not come close . maybe if i had better equipment . well anywat thank you dp
Old December 20th, 2004, 12:20 AM   #11
Major Player

Re: thanks for your post

<<<-- Originally posted by Donald Pittelli :...one thing i did notice is that i have a few rolls of b&w 35mm that i have taken over the past few years the digital whether video or still dose not come close . maybe if i had better equipment . well anywat thank you dp -->>>

I think a 35mm negative has something like 13-20MP worth of resolution, so until a digital still cam approaches that (and some prosumer ones have), a digital pic won't hold up to 35mm.

In the case of 35mm vs. DV, resolution again plays a huge part, but also there is a stark difference in dynamic range abilities, film obviously having more range, making it look better.
Jesse Bekas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion