Monitoring my Cinematographer at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old December 13th, 2004, 07:33 PM   #1
New Boot

Monitoring my Cinematographer

Hi guys,
I'm trying to get all my ducks in a row befor I start production on my movie. I wanted to know about a monitor that I could use with my camera. I have a cinematographer/camera operator for my movie, but I want to have a monitor for me so I can see what he is shooting. I was going to buy a 100 ft S video or RCA plug and go directly from the camera to an NTSC monitor. I was wondering if I would actually need a production monitor, or if I could just use a small TV from K mart to monitor the shot.

Thanks,
Jesse
Jesse Davidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2004, 08:24 PM   #2
Wrangler

A regular small TV will work fine for showing you his framing.
You could also rent a real monitor for the shoot, but if it is for more than a few days, it will cost you more than buying a 14" WalMart TV.
Old December 13th, 2004, 10:32 PM   #3
Rextilleon

The TV will only work for framing----and it really wont show you safe areas etc. You really should consider a production monitor, and yes you tap directly into the camera. This way you can get a sense of color, lighting, mood, safe areas etc.
David Mintzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2004, 11:03 PM   #4
New Boot

Framing?

Thanks for the info,
I just want to clarify a few things. If I am filming with the DVX-100a and I plug into the WAL Mart TV, it will show me the shot, but without the safe areas. Now, I thought that safe areas were to show you where a real TV would cut off. If I was using a TV why would I need the Safe Areas. Also, I will be filming in 16:9 mode, will that change anything. (Will the letterboxing automatically show up on the TV screen if I'm filming in 16:9?)

Thanx,
Jesse
Jesse Davidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2004, 11:12 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Jesse.

A cheap TV from a "Large Discount Store", will likely NOT have a bnc or s video connection, nor will it show 16:9.

Renting a monitor will give you what you need, at a budget price.

Short of that, you'll have to spring for or borrow a TV with BNC, 16:9 features or s video.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2004, 12:49 AM   #6
Wrangler

Well, it will show you 16:9 *IF* you shoot in the camera's crop/letterbox mode where the camera automaticaly inserts the black bars.
It's not nearly as good as a real monitor, but it is better than not having one at all. Depends on your budget of course.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion