Pelican 1660 with foam at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old December 17th, 2004, 12:55 AM   #1
Major Player

Pelican 1660 with foam

Man, I love my new Pelican 1660 case with the pick and pluck foam so much I just felt like posting a message about it.

The case is huge for one thing, but it has a handle and wheels so it can be dragged by one person... and it has two handles on either side so two people can drag it. That's not what's so cool about it. Forget about it being indistructable and waterproof, but the foam is awesome.

The pick and pluck foam comes in three tiers, so you can create three different layers of storage without having to ever remove any of the foam to get to anything. I guess I should just take a few snapshots to show everybody what I mean, but I'll just illustrate what I've done with mine.

I've got two GL2's. One's mounted to a Steadicam JR and one's got a Beachtek on the bottom and a shotgun mic on top. Those two cameras take two levels of foam to be fully submerged. Beneath them though, you can pluck out small square holes for extra batteries, wide angle lenses, viewfinder hoods and whatever else you want. So when you pick up the camera, all your extra batteries are in neat little holes below it. I've got a hole for my laptop that's just a small slit accross the top that goes all the way down to the bottom of the case.

It's just really cool how much stuff you can pack into one of these things and how handy you can make the foam to fit all your stuff.

Another thing that's cool is if you mess up and pull out too much foam or something, you can use adhesive spray to glue foam back into place. Or if you get new equiptment you can just order new foam.

I know it's just a case, but I'm just really stoked about it. It's just neat to have something that's virtually indestructable on the outside and has all my stuff padded in foam on the inside.

I've been doing interviews for my family documentary that I'm making and it's just been a pleasure to tote all my junk around in it.

That's it, I just had to plug that case because it's awesome.

"Good taste is the enemy of creativity" - Picasso

Blog: http://www.tonyhall.name
Tony Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2004, 06:08 PM   #2
Major Player

Thanks for the review, Tony. Post some pictures!

In terms of workflow, do you find it difficult to carry around such a large case? I have a Pelican 1650, which I like a lot as well, but I'm also considering a soft bag for when I just want to take the camera alone (without matte box, etc) for run and gun type shoots.
Christopher Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2004, 08:25 PM   #3
Major Player

I'll hopefully be able to get some pics up sometime this week. I'll let you know.

"Good taste is the enemy of creativity" - Picasso

Blog: http://www.tonyhall.name
Tony Hall is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion