Fake newspaper pages at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old September 12th, 2002, 05:50 PM   #1
Slash Rules!

Fake newspaper pages

This probably goes under the editng forum, but on the other hand maybe it doesn't.

I'm creating fake newspaper pages to be shown in a movie, and I decided to use Microsoft frontpage to do it. What I was wondering is, is there any way to convert an entire webpage into a file that can be manipulated in photoshop (say a jpeg or something) The web page version doesn't have the shape of newspaper.

You're now saying, "but Josh, why didn't you just use Quark?" Well, I don't own it, and wasn't in the mood to go to Kinko's for several hours and try to use it. I may end up having to do that anyway.

I'm editing with Vegas Video 3, and I know there's a way to insert web pages into the timeline, but I just tried it and I cannot figure out how to do it. The help file says to click the "Get Media from the Web" button, but that just opens Sonic Foundry's page--it's supposed to open a dialogue box. Argggh.

Any suggestions on my problem?
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2002, 06:03 PM   #2
Warden

I don't use Front Page but it should be able to save your file as a PDF. Open the PDF in Photoshop and adjust if necessary. Save as a JPEG. I think XP gives you the option to save as a PDF when you select preview print or print. Windows 2000 probably can too. Adobe Acrobat (not the reader) will save PDFs. Kinkos will have Acrobat so you could do the conversion there, rather than having to design the whole document.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2002, 08:41 PM   #3
Slash Rules!

Thank you sir. I'm off to Kinko's.
Old September 12th, 2002, 09:33 PM   #4
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Whoa, Josh! There's something you might need to consider before dashing off to Kinko's.

First, Jeff's recommendation will work, if you have the software to make PDFs, or you can take a screenshot, then import that into Photoshop and expect to crop a bit for proper dimensions...if you have the software to capture screenshots at high quality.

Much easier than that, though, would be just to create the newspaper in Photoshop itself and import it into your video editing program. You might consider that next time.

But the reason I say "whoa!" is because you'll need to consider the different pixel shape between computer monitors and video monitors. Here's a tutorial on how to do that for FCP. The same dimensions should apply to other editing programs. Give it a try, anyway. Unless Vegas Video 3 does the adjustment somehow automatically.

http://www.lafcpug.org/basic_ps.html
Old September 12th, 2002, 11:16 PM   #5
Slash Rules!

Good point--my original idea was to print out the final results and shoot still with my XL1s. I used gibberish for the bodies of the articles, and I don't want the gibberish to be readable as such--only the headlines.
Old September 13th, 2002, 12:16 AM   #6

I see. I misunderstood...I imagined you were going to show a full screen shot of the newspaper, rather than have it as an element in a shot.

Sorry 'bout that.

Then, to show an actual paper with a particular photo or headline...I'd just pick a local paper, figure a way to fit your headline(s) and/or article(s) and photo(s) over one already in the paper, measure the dimensions and make something to paste over it (probably make a new banner and paste that, too). Then, take that to be photocopied onto newsprint paper. When shooting, just pick your shots either far enough away to obscure the other articles, or zoom in fast enough and tight enough to cut them out completely. No one will ever know you used a real paper.

Your idea brings to mind Mel Brook's "Silent Movie." The headlines and photos on the bundles of paper that were pelted at the old newpaper vendor were hilarious.
Old September 13th, 2002, 12:56 AM   #7
Slash Rules!

NO no, right idea. It will be a full screen shot, but that was my plan (the pasting and the cutting) and then I realized how frustrating it would be to have to cover up everything that indicated it wasn't what it was supposed to be (also, maybe a copyright issue?)

As for the stretching and skewing issues, I'll worry about those later. I need to get it to a PDF right now. Kinko's had a program called Acrobat Distiller, which looks to be used for converting anything to a PDF. Well, it didn't work on my web page. Does anyone know how to use it? The people there didn't. The help files were useless as well.
Old September 13th, 2002, 01:14 AM   #8

Hi Josh,

Distiller is basically Acrobat but for use on a network. You should be able to use either one to either "print" the PDF file, or even just drag the file icon onto the application icon.

Tell you what, if you're still having trouble, post the HTML file online and send the URL to me at john@zchildress.com. I'll print the PDF and send it to you. Be sure to tell me the page setup and layout settings.
Old September 13th, 2002, 01:25 AM   #9
Major Player

you could always do what robbie williams employed (well the people who made the music video) and emphasise the article you are wanting people to see and put a slight blur on the rest of the paper so it is unreadable, if it is done swiftly and correctly it will draw attention where you want and look very nice.

kermie
Zac Stein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2002, 01:30 AM   #10

My thinking too, Kermie.
Old September 13th, 2002, 07:05 AM   #11
RED Code Chef

I use a graphics application (very small, fast and good one)
called IrfanView ( www.irfanview.com ). It has a capture option
that allows you to only capture the output of Internet Explorer
for example. You can cut away the borders in the same program
and save it as an image. Easy and no costs at all.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2002, 11:47 AM   #12
Major Player

On another note.....

I would scan the newspaper you wanted to use into a .bmp/jpg/etc file, pull it into Photoshop, fuzz it up, add whatever "headlines" you wanted, then export it to your NLE software in a file format that it can understand.

Also, other than the obvious screen shot from MS-FP then file/new/edit/paste into Photoshop...........

In certain versions of FP (don't know if this works in FP2002 since I'm at work, and don't have it on this box) you can force a.....file/save as/newspaper.jpg as an example.

Hope this helps!
Old September 13th, 2002, 03:37 PM   #13
Slash Rules!

I'm such a moron--scanning the newspaper: brilliant!

I will try the Ifanview or whatever thingy, as I have already created all the different papers I will need in frontpage (there's 5, all using the same template but different headlines). This is not an actual web page on the web, it's just on my computer. Will that matter?
Old September 13th, 2002, 04:27 PM   #14
Slash Rules!

Alright- Irfanview does the job. Thanks to Rob Lohman. May he never have sound dropouts or dropped frames.
Old September 13th, 2002, 09:26 PM   #15
Major Player

Irfanview

Nice app.......Rob/Josh.

It's staying on my editing box from this day forward !

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion