Help needed on purchase, DVC30, DVC60, GL2, FX1, Z1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old December 21st, 2004, 08:21 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Help needed on purchase, DVC30, DVC60, GL2, FX1 or Z1

Here are the uses of the camera.

1) Primary: To film music concerts of bands, most of the time plugged into the soundboard in the middle of the hall. Sometimes it's a long distance to the stage (up to 225 feet, most often about 125 feet from the stage). Almost all the time I plug into the mixing board via XLRs. Sometimes the stage is not well lit. I am often not in the best environments for filming, as the sound board area is sometimes not secured or barricaded. Camera must be durable as it will be subjected to rough environments.

2) Secondary use: Weddings.

Here are my options,

1) DVC30: Price with the XLR adapter, $1995. I like the zoom capability. I like the XLR adapter with the specialized plug in. The zoom is good, approx 630mm (35 mm equivalent). Not sure about the low light performance for stage and weddings.

2) DVC60: Price $2150. I like the fact that the XLRs are built in. Zoom and low light, same as the DVC30. Might be a bit bulky but might look more "professional" at weddings.

3) GL2: Price $2000 after rebate. I will need a Studio 1 or Beechtech XLR adapter. I have used these adapters with Digital 8 cameras and was surprised at the good audio quality. I wonder if there will be a significant audio improvement with built in XLRs. Not sure about low light for stage and weddings. I love the 20X zoom, coming in around 800 mm (35 mm equivalent). I tested this camera and liked it, the only one I tested but am worried about it's durability.

4) FX1: Price $3500. I will need a Studio 1 or Beechtech XLR adapter. Not happy with the zoom, only 390 mm (35 mm equivalent), no good telephoto lenses under $500. Should be the best in low light for a dimly lit stage and weddings. It's the wave of the future, I am into high definition and know it's just a matter of time many weddings would require a high def cam. I also like the 16:9. The price is steep but it's great technology, but I am concerned about it's use at concerts.

5) Z1: Price $5500. Same as FX1 but with XLRs, too expensive though.

All the experts, please help me make a decision.

Thanks

David
David Gomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2004, 08:37 PM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

David,
I've moved one of your posts to this general area and deleted the other two duplicates. Duplicate postings are not permitted.

-Ken Tanaka-
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2004, 12:56 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Have you considered the PD170? It has the XLR's, nothing is better in low light, and until the end of the year it has a $300 rebate, which puts it between the GL2 or DVC60 and the FX1 (which, by the way, is not as good in low light as the PD170), and it's far superior to either of these cams, particularly when lighting is an issue. The PD170 would be about $2900 after rebate.
Old December 24th, 2004, 10:18 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks Jeff,

Any other suggestions out there?
David Gomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2004, 12:22 PM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

The best suggestion I can make is that the right camera for you is the one which feels best in your hands. Ergonomics is so much more important than any minor variations in features or specifications. Choose the one which feels best in your hands and whose controls, etc. are layed out to your personal preference.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2004, 01:08 PM   #6
Trustee

For what you want to do I don't think you could do much better than the DVC30 or DVC60 in this price range. I have used all that you have mentioned except the FX1 and Z1.

Regards,

Mark
Mark Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2004, 02:21 PM   #7
Major Player

I agree with Jeff, if your doing weddings, the VX2100/2000 with beachtek or the PD-170/150 is the best option by FAR(its a no brainer). I've used the XL1s, GL2, DVX100a, and the PD-170 for weddings. An extreme tele is not that useful on the GL2, and 95+% of weddings/after parties not well lit. In my opinion, the 170 has the most vivid color saturation in its class, esp in low light.

John
John DeLuca is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion