Uncompressed SDX 900 footage at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old December 26th, 2004, 09:25 AM   #1
Major Player

Uncompressed SDX 900 footage

I came across a plug in board for the SDX 900 that allows the camera to pump out uncompressed video. This got me thinking, just how good would uncompressed SDX900 footage be? How would such footage blow up to HD, or even film? Would this footage be of a better quality then HDV? Any guesses or, better yet, experiences? Thanks.
Glenn Gipson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2004, 12:36 PM   #2
Wrangler

I very much doubt that it will 'look' better than a decent HDV camera. Psychologically, we like detail more than we like the absence of compression artifacts (assuming one can see them).

To be able to see individual leaves in a landscape shot of a forest will count for more than uncompressed SD video by a long shot :-))))
Old December 26th, 2004, 01:25 PM   #3
Wrangler

I think the main advantage would be that the SDX900 has a more sophisticated camera head (2/3" chips, for starters) than any HDV camera currently available. But Mike is probably correct about the resolution being more of a factor.
Old December 26th, 2004, 01:49 PM   #4
Major Player

So is it safe to assume that the only big advantage with uncompressed footage is for better post-processing?
Glenn Gipson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2004, 02:43 PM   #5
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Glenn,
I do not own or use the SDX900 so take what follows as simple anecdotal observation.

I have seen the SDX900's DVCPro 50 footage up-sampled to DVCPro HD and displayed side-by-side with DVCPro HD footage recorded natively from the Varicam, both at 24fps. I honestly could not have distinguished the two and doubt that more than a tiny fraction of others could, either. Color, sharpness, smoothness, all were virtually identical. I almost had to make Panasonic's Jan Crittendon sign an affidavit of truth before I believed what I was seeing (something that gave her endless mirth).

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion