Vertical Shooting / XL1S at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old December 27th, 2004, 12:36 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Vertical Shooting / XL1S

Hello,

I am a still photographer and I shoot a great deal of tennis, 90% of it vertically.

I am shooting videos for short clips on the web for an instructional tennis site.

Forgive my ignorance, but has anyone had any experience shooting DV vertically. Obviously playblack will be a consideration, but I "should" be able to tailor my playback frame (e.g. Quick Time or Flash) to match the "portrait" mode.

I have a great deal of wasted horizontal space to get full body shots of players, particularly on the serve, which will have a contact point of between 9 & 10 feet.

This would allow me to shoot a lot tighter, as all I want to portray is the player.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Regards, Alan Van Vliet
Alan Van Vliet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2004, 11:14 AM   #2
New Boot

Hi,
I think the easy way how to eliminate the vertical problems is shooting it without movements with the best conditions and than make the movements you wanted in cutting software .. Of course you will have to do it with "zoom" tools that make your pictures lower quality, but for the WEB publication it still good...

that is just idea... :)
Hendy Witanto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2005, 09:47 AM   #3
Major Player

If you can rotate the image in flash and play a "portrait" oriented image, you should be able to crop a normally filmed "landscape" oriented image to a portrait oriented one, eliminating horizontal space and thus (as I presume is your goal) end up with smaller files. The resolution of the XL1S will be more than sufficient for the web, even when you crop the image to 1/3 of its original size.
Old January 6th, 2005, 08:49 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Vertical Shooting

Guys,

Thanks for your thoughts. I have been experimenting with the sizing of the Quick Time Player, and just by swapping the dimensions it shows me the type of crop that I am looking for.

The only problem is the QT Player controls get cropped as well. Got to work on that one.

I'll do the same with the editing software so I can reduce the file size as well.

I'll post when I get some results.

Thanks again for your ideas.

Regards, AL
Alan Van Vliet is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion