DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Quality Analog to DV Converter $100-$300 Range?? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/37057-quality-analog-dv-converter-100-300-range.html)

Chris Moore December 29th, 2004 01:43 PM

Quality Analog to DV Converter $100-$300 Range??

I Want to take all my vhs c tapes and put them on a dvd. I want to maintian the quality of the original tape. I have a firewire connection. I use vegas 5.0 and DVDA 2. I have looked at the Dazzle Hollywood DV Bridge & the Canopus ADVC 50. But are these Good Enough? I want to be able to use this for awhile. I have hours & hours of tape.

Giroud Francois December 29th, 2004 01:51 PM

go with the ADVC100 , you cannot be wrong.
it is external box, convert in both direction, can suppress macrovision (extremely useful for VHS).

Rhett Allen December 29th, 2004 01:55 PM

I have a Sony unit they don't make anymore but..
The Canopus one's are supposed to be excellent but I would opt for an external unit like the ADVC110 (it goes both ways as well). PCI cards can get outdated as computers advance and it takes up internal space.

Giroud Francois December 29th, 2004 02:22 PM

The 110 is the same as the 100, it just has SECAM conversion added.
check http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...threadid=36972
there is a guy selling one for 200$

Rhett Allen December 29th, 2004 02:45 PM

oops! sorry Giroud, I was posting at the same time as you were and therefor didn't see your reply. I just liked the 110 because it is powered by the Firewire and doesn't need a power supply. That's the only thing I don't like about my Sony, having to use yet another power cord.

A. J. deLange December 30th, 2004 10:50 AM

Most (e.g. XL2 yes, XL1s no) DV cameras will do this function for you though you don't have the control that some of the external boxes give with respect to video levels etc. But I wouldn't have the temerity to touch those controls unless I had a vectorscope and waveform monitor.

Patrick Jenkins January 3rd, 2005 08:29 AM

Canopus ADVC-100.

I've also used another off-the-shelf style convertor (Dazzle brand) and while it worked fine when it worked, it was problematic making it work reliably. Get the Canopus.

Devlyn Hukowich January 3rd, 2005 09:38 AM

I have a unit I picked up here in Toronto, ON (IC Technology). However I have no idea who makes it. It does a wonderful job and seems to eliminate Macrovision. The only identifing mark is a model number of DV-2001. Also as I remember the price was about CA$250 almost two years ago.
If you can find one they work well.

Carlos E. Martinez January 3rd, 2005 10:53 AM

Got a Canopus ADVC100 too, and I never had any problem.

There are some hidden things it does, like eliminating Macrovision, which Canopus does not put in the manual.

Carlos

Brandon Greenlee January 3rd, 2005 10:58 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Carlos E. Martinez : Got a Canopus ADVC100 too, and I never had any problem.

There are some hidden things it does, like eliminating Macrovision, which Canopus does not put in the manual.

Carlos -->>>

Interesting. I've had one of these for a while and had no idea.
Do you have to do anything special for it to work?

Carlos E. Martinez January 3rd, 2005 11:43 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Brandon Greenlee :

Interesting. I've had one of these for a while and had no idea.
Do you have to do anything special for it to work? -->>>

At the time I did what I did now: a Google search using "Canopus macrovision". And I got this:

• Press and hold the Input Select button on the front panel until you see the color bars appear.
• Keep the button pressed (about 15 seconds) until the color bars disappear. (Note: with some capture cards the color bars may not appear. In any case, keep the button pressed for the full 15 seconds.
• Macrovision copy-protection is now disabled until you switch off the ADVC-100.

In my case I didn't see the color bars, but Macrovision was disabled.

Carlos

Jeff Toogood January 3rd, 2005 03:15 PM

What I suggested my Dad do, is get a broken mini-dv camcorder off ebay.
Just make sure that it still turns on and works. (Like broken tape mech., lens etc.)
He got a camera for $45 and it converts video to digital great.

Darko Tomic January 4th, 2005 09:51 AM

Does anyone know what are the differences between Canopus ADVC100 and new model ADVC110 ?
It seems it is just in power supply, I own old 100 model (its great) and now I need to buy one at work, 110 is only available at the moment.
I am just wondering if the features/quality are the same ...

Thanx
Darko.

Brandon Greenlee January 4th, 2005 10:05 AM

http://www.canopus.us/US/products/ADVC_selection_guide/pm_advc_selection.asp

They are exactly the same feature/quality wise. I'd recommend getting an advc100 off ebay. I have bought several for the ~$200 price range all in just about new condition.

Good Luck.

John Sandel January 4th, 2005 11:10 AM

My Ignorance is Showing

Is there something I'm missing here?

What do peripheral A-to-D converters do that I couldn't accomplish in the NLE of my choice (having first run the analog info through the converter in my XL2)?

JS