Misc. Open DV from 2005 - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old October 30th, 2005, 08:59 AM   #76
Major Player

Kata MC 61 - Carry-on??

I bought a Kata MC61 bag for my DVX100A and am pleased with all the compartments to fit my gear. I now have a job overseas and would like to carry it onboard with the camera on the flight. The specs say that it is the correct size but my measurements say it's larger.

Has anyone any experience in flying with this bag as carry-on?? I would hate to have to check it at the last minute.

Thanks.

Jim
Jim Sofranko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2005, 08:53 AM   #77
Major Player

NAB Post 11/15-11/17 in NYC

This show is waaay out of my league..but if you go the TekServe website,

http://www.tekserve.com

There is a code for a free exhibits only pass if you are going to be in the city and want to see the show for free.

I just might visit the Steadicam booth[wanna see the Merlin] if I can get off work that day...
John C. Chu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2005, 08:26 PM   #78
Major Player

Tascam HD-P2 Portable Audio Recorder

Hey, does anyone if Tascam has released the HD-P2 yet? It seems like they have, but I can't find it anywhere. Looks like it will go for about under $1000/... SWEET!!

http://www.tascam.com/Press/Releases/hdp2.html
Brian Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2005, 08:19 AM   #79
Tourist

Extended warranties-MACK? Manufacturer?

Needing a Sony DSR-11 deck, I am contemplating an extended warranty for it. Does Sony provide them? No help from their web page. Also, does anyone have first hand knowledge of MACK warranties?
Ed Driscoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2005, 10:26 AM   #80
Regular Crew

Livetype for PC

Is there any programs that are similar to livetype but on a PC Based platform at all? Im using vegas 6.0 if that helps at all or it can be a whole separate program, doesnt matter.
Old November 17th, 2005, 03:35 PM   #81
Major Player

Sony FX1 or Z1 owners in Portland, Oregon?

Hi all,

I am a wedding videographer and I am looking for someone who might be able to rent me an FX1 or Z1 for a few weddings until I have the money for my second FX1. Please let me know if you are interested. I am fully insured thru WEVA.

scott@ambientsky.com

Cheers,
Scott
Scott Shama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2005, 10:11 AM   #82
New Boot

Battery Question 7.2V vs. 7.4V ???

Hi.

I use a Sony Digital8 DCR-TRV120.

My battery is acting funny. It wont charge. I think it is dead and i need a new battery. I went to an electronics market to find a battery and here is what happened.

My current (dead) Sony factory battery has this info on the back: 7.2V 1350mAh.

I looked at a new, non Sony, replacement battery today that had this info on the back: 7.4V 3700mAh.

Several salesmen told me that the 7.4V battery will work just fine in my camera. They said it would not harm my camera. Actually i tried one in my camera and it seemed to work just fine for the few minutes i tried it.

Here is my question: Is the 7.4V battery ok? Even if the battery that my camera came with is 7.2V? I know the increase in mAh means longer battery charge, and indeed this new battery is a bit bigger than my current (dead) battery.

Also, i am in Asia, not America. I dont know exactly how things work here but i have a feeling that if my camera gets hurt, i may have a hard time getting someone to answer for it.

So if someone out there with experience in this matter could just tell me, that would be great, because i just dont know.

Please help.

Thanks.
Arun Patel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2005, 11:58 PM   #83
Major Player

A video someone had posted a while back....

It was a guy riding home on a Bus...

What video was that?
Where is the post?

I can't find it...

THANKS

or maybe like a Ground level Subway
Brent Marks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2005, 03:39 PM   #84
Major Player

Looking for used C-Stands in Canada?!

I am slowly gathering equipment for my lighting kit. I have a nice light, but I need a C-Stand for it, but I am not sure where I can get one used (Canada preferrably so save on shipping).

Also looking for a Frenal glass and Barndoor for my light.

Thanks!
Leo Mandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2005, 03:05 PM   #85
Regular Crew

Timecode on the filmset

As an aspiring film composer I always deal with TC from a post-production perspective. But I’d like a little more knowledge of how timecode is used on the set of Hollywood productions with cameras running at 24 fps and audio running at 30 fps.

In post I deal with all TC formats and the hour figure usually stands for the reel number or show number. Now I don’t think this is the case for production footage (film and audio), so how does it work?

I’ve read several articles on the subject, but seem to be unable to get a clear overall picture.

- What TC format is used (30 fps ND for the audio and 24 fps for the film?) and how is everything connected? What device generates the TC to which all recorders and cameras slave? Where does a smart slate come in? Is it all LTC?

- They don’t go back to 00:00:00:00 for every take, so what counting method is used?

- What does ‘time of day’ mean?

- What’s ‘jam-syncing’?

- What do film cameras actually do with the incoming TC?

- I noticed from watching behind the scenes footage that when a smart slate is clapped, it shows two different timecode addresses, one before the clap and one after. What’s that about?

- Is syncing up audio and picture in post the only purpose of production TC?

I’d appreciate any help!

Thanks,

Roy
Roy Bemelmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2005, 03:56 PM   #86
Regular Crew

CineForm/HDLink Question

Hello

Why is it that CineForm puts all the files into individual files when capturing the video? is there any way to capture the whole video as one file in HDLink? Also what should the size be for 21 mins of video? Mine has turned out to be just under 14GB is this correct? is there any way you can change the settings in CineForm HDLink so it takes up less space?

Thanks
Jim Rog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2005, 11:25 AM   #87
Sponsor: Electronic Mailbox

Happy Thanksgiving & Holiday Shooting tips

We would like to thank all of our customers and friends for your support and patronage throughout the years. Every year around this time I refresh the following article and post it for everyone to share:

Videoguys' Tips for Shooting Family/Home/holiday Video
If you're like me, you shoot tons of video of your family. I've got hours and hours of videotape of my kids. Over the past 10 years I've learned a thing or two about getting the best possible footage. No matter how cool your NLE system is and how many awesome special effects you can add, the bottom line is this: The video is only as good as the video you shoot. http://www.videoguys.com/family.html

Gary

Last edited by Gary Bettan; November 24th, 2005 at 12:48 PM.
Gary Bettan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2005, 02:06 PM   #88
Tourist

Need help answering question on warranty!

On an extended warranty registration form a question is asked as to whether the equipment is to be used professionally or not. What does the answer here mean in terms of how the warranty provider will cover a claim? Anyone know? Will the warranty company be harder on a non-professional's claim or a pro's claim? Are there warranty companies which provide different extended warranties for amateurs and pros?
Thanks!
Ed Driscoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2005, 04:08 AM   #89
Tourist

Flickering deshaker result - why?

I wish to use deshaker through virtualdub. The compression codec is huffyuv. They are all the latest versions. My problem is that even very carefully following guides and instructions on how to set up Pass 1 and 2 of the deshaker program the result I get flickers which is unuseable. Has anyone out there had the same problem. Did you find a solution which you may share with me. I'm completely stumped having spent 2 days trying everything. It is an AVI 720x576 interlaced PAL file.

Thanks
Shane
Shane Brooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2005, 12:37 PM   #90
Regular Crew

Firewire Hub?

Where I work (for UW-Milwaukee for the union AV department) we are currently revamping our video setup/gear. We have decided on the XL-2 as a main camera and probably a GL-2 for B-Roll. We would like to have the video (From the firewire) from the XL go to an external harddrive off a laptop AND we would also like the Firewire line to go to a Mini-DV/VCR combo tape deck (for backup in case the laptop/harddrive fails). Is there some type of firewire Hub that can accomplish this task?

As for the GL2 I want to vouch for the Firestore FS-4 but it seems to be *slightly* unreliable. Any input on the compatability of these two devices?

Thank you,
Max
Max Liptack is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion