After effects Learning Curve? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old January 5th, 2005, 01:16 PM   #1
Regular Crew

After effects Learning Curve?

I watched adobes demo video on after effect 6.5. How steep is the learning curve for a newbie. There are cheeper older versions available. would i loose to many capabilities buy purchasing an older version? I just want cool titles and vegas dos'nt quite cut it. and anything i could do to help a photo montage.
Chris Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2005, 02:22 PM   #2
Major Player

Hello,

I moved from using Photoshop to After Effects, and found that it was a pretty easy migration.. After Effects is kind of Photoshop with motion..If you have no Photoshop experience, then it will probaly be a pretty steep curve, but worth it..After effects is my main tool for doing most of my compositing, effects, colorizing, keying, text manipulation and on and on..Quite frankly I would be lost without it.. It is a key to making my productions professional..(and no i do not work for Adobe)
As far as using the latest version (6.5) it is definately worth getting.. If for nothing else version 6.5 has introduced, Text Animation Presets, these are pre made Text animations ( there are hundreds of them included) which make some text you type in do all kinds of great animation moves which would take hours and lots of work to set up manually. You pretty much just type in your text and then choose what the animation will look like and After Effects takes care of the rest for you.. Well worth it..

Anyway, I believe there is a trial version of After Effects on Adobes web site.. Also there is a training series from a company called Total Training, which offers excellent training DVD's..

hope this helps,
mike m.
Old January 5th, 2005, 02:26 PM   #3
Major Player

Hey chris,

Here is a link which shows you what the Text presets in After Effects look like..I am guessing this is the type of thing you are looking for to add to your arsenal..

here:

http://www.adobe.com/products/aftereffects/type_effects.html

Mike m.
Old January 5th, 2005, 04:51 PM   #4
Regular Crew

yes!!

This type of titling is very profesional looking. Could i use this without having to quickly learn most of the software since they are presets.
Chris Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2005, 05:35 PM   #5
Major Player

You would only have to know the basics..Pretty simple.. You should be up and running in no time at all..Like i said the animation text presets alone make this program worthwhile..

Mike m.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion