New to Film Making Question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old January 6th, 2005, 01:14 PM   #1
New Boot

New to Film Making Question

Hi

I am an actor first and foremost mainly stage productions but appeared in a couple of student films. I have just received a camcorder for christmas from my girlfriend and hope to start shooting my own short very soon.

Will my Cam be capable of producing decent results? I have a Canon DV 750i, it is nothing like what most of you guys are using obviously but what are the main differences between a standard camcorder and the type of DV Cameras you guys are using? Obviously the bigger cameras have more complex lenses etc but as for quality what is the difference? Do Video Cameras work in the same way digital cameras work, i.e the pixel quality etc. What kind of pixel quality can I expect from my camcorder?

Hope this doesn't seem to daft a question to ask?

Thanks for any help.

Regards

Simon
Simon Kenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2005, 01:45 PM   #2
Major Player

Hi Simon,

don't worry too much about the quality of your camera (it's a pretty good one, though). What really counts is the story you want to tell and the way you are going to tell it!

Technically, all PAL-DV cameras (since you are living in a PAL country I assume you've got a PAL cam) record 720x576 pixels. However, there are differences in the picture quality. You must decide, wether the quality is acceptable for you or not.

But there is more to making a short than just the camera. Have you thought about a decent tripod, about a good mike (they say that 70 percent of what you see is sound) and lighting? That's what really makes a difference. And the story, of course.

Do some research on this great site on the various topics about DV and film making. You'll learn a lot (at least I did!!).

Good luck and

Rainer
Rainer Hoffmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2005, 05:56 PM   #3
Wrangler

I never thought I'd have to say this to an actor...

What is going to make your project good, is the acting and story.

:)

Don't sweat it, your camera is fine. Instead of upgrading, spend money on a tripod, lights and a good microphone. That will make more difference than a better camera.
Old January 6th, 2005, 06:15 PM   #4
Air China Pilot

... and 50 million bucks.
Old January 6th, 2005, 06:26 PM   #5
New Boot

Thanks for the replies all.

I will look into the things you all mentioned, first on the list is a tripod.

I will search the posts for advice on a microphone, dont know who can help with the 50 big ones though! ;-)

Simon
Simon Kenny is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion