What do you use yours for? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old January 8th, 2005, 08:26 AM   #1
Regular Crew

What do you use yours for?

Thanks to my wife & Santa! I am now the owner of an Ipaq 5550 Pocket PC.

Do you use one for anything to do with filming ie. logging clips, logging tapes, etc etc?

It would be interesting to see what other filmakers use them for. If not an ipaq then any Pocket PC. Also anyone know of any good sites for film related software?

Carl
Carl Walters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2005, 09:58 AM   #2
Wrangler

I've got a PDA cell phone, is that close enough? I use it for playing my demo reel and showing off my photo gallery, when a TV or the internet isn't available.

I also use it for watching movies in airports.
Old January 8th, 2005, 11:33 AM   #3
Regular Crew

.....I use it for playing my demo reel and showing off my photo gallery.... .

Never thought of that, what a good idea, especially as i've always got my PDA with me. I'll have to download some software to play it on the pda..any suggestions?

Anyone have any other uses?
Carl Walters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2005, 10:51 PM   #4
Major Player

Besides phone numbers....
I've got Acrobat reader installed and loaded up a number of manuals and user guides for the various CGI and compositing apps I'm learning.

Makes it really easy to study a few pages at a time any time a get a few minutes. On a train or plane, at lunch, while at one of my kid's <insert sport or musical instrument of choice> practices or lessons.

There's never enough time to dive into the deeper functions of these apps while working on a project, and there's no way I'm carrying the books around, but having the PDF's handy any time, anywhere is VERY useful for learning new tricks or features.

Have fun.
Nick Jushchyshyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2005, 03:44 AM   #5
Inner Circle

apart from whatsw been mentioned, u can also get some great lil movie player apps.

Ive got a NavMan PiN unit which also has satellite navigation, which is a godsend cosnidering i do heaps of weddings, so it saves the hassle of looing up a street, when i can just get th unit to tell me where to go.

I also use it as an mp3 player in the car with an fm transmitter
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2005, 08:49 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I use Tom Tom navigator for my wedding business. It as an absolute godsend and takes a lot of pressure off when travelling from brides house to venue to reception if you are in an new town, just type in the destination and follow the route. A must as far as i'm concerned.

Any suggestions for a decent movie player?
Carl Walters is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion