DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Non Linear Editors (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/376-non-linear-editors.html)

Kevin Kirchner November 21st, 2001 02:32 PM

Non Linear Editors

Does anybody have experience with either Final Cut Pro or the Kron System for editing XL-1(S) footage?
I've only gotten as far as getting a camera and don't know enough about editors yet to feel like I can make an informed decision.
Thanks
Bugman
PS Doesn't responding to a thread bring the topic back to the top (I'm new here too)? I had a thread going about supports for big lens but the last time I posted to it it didn't come back to the top?

Chris Hurd November 21st, 2001 03:47 PM

Howdy from Texas,

Thousands of XL1 owners are using Final Cut Pro for their editing. My friend Josh Mellicker of dvcreators.net runs a three-day DV workshop for folks using Canon camcorders and Final Cut Pro.

The Kron is the new version of the Casablanca. There's no reason why you couldn't use it with your XL1. If you want to edit on a PC like I'm doing, check out the Canopus DVStorm at www.justedit.com -- in my opinion this is better than FCP or the Kron because it allows you to do real-time DV output (the others must render first).

The posts replied to *most recently* are the ones which appear at the top of the forum lists. In your case, I've moved your post out of the XL1 category (because it doesn't relate directly to the camera itself) and dropped it in here, General DV Discussion, which is a more appropriate section for talking about non-linear editors. Iit doesn't matter to the editor whether you're using an XL1 or not -- sometimes it matters if it's a Canon camcorder but usually it just doesn't make any difference unless there's some specific known problem.

Hope this helps,

K. Forman April 12th, 2002 01:05 PM

Chris-
I also have the DV Storm, and need to coment on their "Realtime". Their idea of realtime only applies to AVIs, and their transitions. Anything done in Premier, using Quicktime or Premier transitions negates DV Storms realtime capabilities.
Boy, was I bummed to find this out!
Keith- Still searching for "realtime".

Jeff Donald April 13th, 2002 03:12 AM

Hi,

I've been a certified AVID editor since 1994 and my company was the first to use AVIDS to on-line in Cincinnati. Ihave been using FCP for over a year and I find it to be the best NLE in its price range. The new AVID software is around $1600 and offers few advantages (remapping the keyboard). FCP 3 has limited realtime effects and titles depending on the speed of your machine. FCP is gaining wide acceptance in the film and broadcast community. Check out Apples FCP site and you'll see waht the buzz is all about. FCP is only getting better by leaps and bounds which each release.

Jeff Donald

Joe Redifer April 13th, 2002 09:56 AM

Chris-

For the most part FCP 3 offers real time DV playback. That is if you have a 550Mhz or faster G4 and lots of RAM. I agree that real time playback is a VERY desirable feature, especially after you've used it! Of course even with the system you are using rendering will be required for super complex timelines. Just think.... in a few years we'll look at the word "render" and wonder what it means! :)

Guy Pringle April 13th, 2002 10:10 PM

Howzit,

Can anyone give me some advice on the pros and cons on editing on a laptop. For background, and to make sure we don't cover the very basic basics of this issue, I have had a number of years experience editing my commercials on Avids at the off-line level and just recently cut my showreel on FCP. My reason for considering a laptop is based on my desire to shoot wildlife doccies which will have me on location for longish periods at a time.

One concern is battery life and how it affects the speed/operation of the computer. Would appreciate others including whether you think a Mac or PC. I hope you guys can call a spade a spade and not be too concerned about being politically correct with regard to your preferences.

Many thanks.

Chris Hurd April 13th, 2002 10:47 PM

To Keith --

When editing in Premiere on the DVStorm, make sure you're using the Canopus transitions set. These will all be in real-time and are no different (and in many cases even better than) the default Premiere transition set.

To Guy --

I have no problem debating the merits and demerits of Macs vs. Windows machines on these boards as long as it's intelligent, even-handed discussion which doesn't blow up into religious wars.

Both have their pro's and con's, both can run perfectly stable and both can crash when you least expect it. In many ways it does come down to FCP vs. Xpress DV for the laptop.

I think if you have more previous experience with Macs, you should stick with them and vice versa. And just like camcorders, you should try each before you buy. Tradeshows are perfect for this.

Guy Pringle April 14th, 2002 01:07 AM

Hi Chris,

Looking forward to hearing what went on at NAB.

I agree about religion. My reason for this question is, I think it was Adrian who mentioned it, that on his laptop which is a 700 mHz, when running off battery power, it slows down to 500 mHz.

It's interesting things like this to consider.

Andrew Leigh April 14th, 2002 01:39 AM

To Guy,

Howzit China,

I would think seriously about using an invertor, 12V to 220V. I would then use a PC as I feel more comfortable with the options. Invertor technology has come a way. Rig your vehicle with a larger alternator get an 80 Ah battery. While you drive you charge, in the evenings you edit.

Out in the bush your accesibilty to PC spares is limited, with laptops almost non exsistant.

Cheers
Andrew

Jeff Donald April 14th, 2002 01:56 AM

Hi,

I think Chris hit the nail on the head. If your familar with Mac use Mac and vice versa. I wouldn't want to try to learn a new skill set in the bush, with limited support. The stability of OS X also is a factor. I've had 2 maybe 3 crashes since October. When Photoshop 7 finally comes to X their will be no need to switch back and forth between 9 and X. Then it will be bye, bye crashes.

Jeff Donald

Guy Pringle April 15th, 2002 12:06 AM

To Andrew,

Howzit Boet!

Sorry for getting off the topic, but it's a one off. Andrew, where can I learn more about those invertors.

Andrew Leigh April 15th, 2002 01:31 AM

Hi

Will dig out some info and get hold of you via e-mail

Regards
Andrew