Canon 600i eating tapes at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old January 14th, 2005, 01:43 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Canon 600i eating tapes

I hope this is the right forum for this subject.

I have a Canon 600i which is used as a convenient tape deck and for occasional fun shooting.

Today, while rewinding a tape, it came to a halt with the flashing warning "EJECT TAPE". The cassette came out with some difficulty, with a loop of damaged tape hanging out.

I tried loading another (old) cassette to see if it would play or if was a one-off cassette problem. There was a repeated clicking noise then the eject warning again. The tape was damaged in the same way.

Assuming that if I give the camcorder to Canon Service they will replace the mechanism with another, there is likely to be a fairly standard price for this repair.

Could anyone (preferably in UK or Europe) who has experienced this problem before please give me an idea of the probable cost, as I am anxious to know if this is an economical repair.

Al
Al Osmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2005, 04:14 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Recently I had about the same problem with my almost two years old Canon XM2.
Got the "remove tape" warning during rewinding, but it didn't "eat tape".

This repair was covered by Canon, so I didn't have to pay anything.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2005, 07:41 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for the reply.

I was thinking about making another enquiry in the Long Black Line forum, in case it was a tape sticking to heads problem, but then I held the cam upside down and shook it.

Out came a number of small items: a stainless steel pin or roller about 7mm long, a washer, a small spring. I hate it when there are loose springs about the place!

So mechanical failure appears to be the immediate cause of the problem, although something may have caused the mechanical failure in the first place. Either way it will have to go to Canon (UK) for a spell.

Anyone with personal experience care to give me a ball-park figure for mechanism replacement. I am more or less decided to get a replacement camera for use as a deck anyway, but it is probably worth repairing the MV600i as I have a load of spare batteries for it.

Al
Al Osmond is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion