corporate videos and weddings at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old January 19th, 2005, 07:07 PM   #1
New Boot

corporate videos and weddings

Hi I am in the process of buying a new camera. The 3 contenders are the Panasonic dvx100a, xl2, or the sony HVR-V1U. I will be doing corporate videos, weddings and short films on the side. I am leaning towards the Panasonic dvx100a because my main objective is to make short films. However, which camera is better for shooting weddings? Also which camera do corporations profer for their videos? I am also aware that HD is looming like a giant over the future so would it be a wiser choice to buy the HD Sony? Thanks
Nico Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2005, 08:57 PM   #2
Barry Wan Kenobi

I'd probably lean towards the XL2 for your stated purposes. There's no denying that the XL2 would make a more "impressive" physical appearance for a wedding or certain corporate jobs -- where the client can be concerned about the camera and may want something more impressive-looking than a DVX or FX1. And the XL2'1s 24P mode will serve you well for short film work.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2005, 09:07 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Barry is right about the impressive look of the XL2. I own one, and it really gets impressive stares from people when I use it in public. Although this means nothing from a filmmaker's point of view, the people who are hiring you will take you more seriously if you have better looking equipment. The DVX100a might be a better choice for you though. It doesn't look as impressive, but it will get you good results and it's a very versatile camera.

If you are serious about looking into HD, I wouldn't do it just yet. HDV is fairly new for cameras in your price range, and if you want to do short films, you should wait to buy an HD camera that supports 24p. The technology is still too young to use for shorts or features.

If I were you, I'd get the Panasonic, and then maybe upgrade in a few years once HDV cameras start becoming more common. Buying the XL2 is quite an expense, and the DVX100a will save you some money so you can afford a HD camera in the future.
Brent Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2005, 12:16 AM   #4
New Boot

Given the price of the Sony, I'm leaning towards the xl2 or the dvx, but I'm just afraid these cameras will devalue with the advent of High Definition. Do you think this will be the case, and if so when? Also, I figured that HD would be a good selling point and attract potential clients, corporate or weddings...
Nico Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2005, 12:29 AM   #5
Major Player

Ask yourself this question. What do my clients want? Do they even have the ability to view HD? What are you going to deliver it to them on? There isn't a delivery method for HD, are you going to hand them a hard drive as final output? When they actually start making players and burners for HD-DVD how long will it take for the price to come down to a point where people will actually start buying them?

Right now you would be best suited by sticking with DV. Either camera would make a fine choice. You just have to decide which one fits your budget and desire.
You can do a search on here and look over other peoples decision making process. I know I've seen this question asked at least a million times, almost daily in fact, so your not alone.
Rhett Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2005, 12:41 AM   #6
New Boot

That's a really valid point. And as of now, I don't even have the editing set up to handle HD. But since the Sony has the capability of SD I guess I see it as buy this all in one camera now and make it last five or six years until HD becomes predominant, or buy the xl2 and have to upgrade to HD which may be more costly....
Nico Ray is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion