DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Would it be worth it for me? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/38211-would-worth-me.html)

Jason Gatti January 23rd, 2005 05:20 PM

Would it be worth it for me?

I would like everyone's input on whether I should spend the money for what I do. I posted about a good DVD builder program on another part of the forum. Someone responded saying that the Sony Vegas + DVD is a great program. Although I have looked into many programs the question I ask myself without an answer is this. Is it really worth it for the kind of simple work I do? I have been doing small project's I guess you would say for the people who have no desire to spend a small fortune. Examples are slideshow DVD's, sporting event's, school play's, dance recital's and even a couple of wedding's. The work I have done even though with more simple program's, has been recieved with praise from everyone. From the DVD menu's/chapters to the transition, text and transitions. People have loved what I have done. I enjoy doing this kind of work for the common man I guess you might call them hahaha. My question is this. With the kind of work I do, would you spend the money for a higher end program? Is the finished product that much better with the Vegas 5.0 than let's say the sony vegas 4.0 +DVD? If it is please explain what is so much better . I have compared my work to other work done by companies in my area and to be honest I think my work is better. For example my brother in law's sister(knowing I do this) paid a company to do a slideshow DVD for her. They charged $300 (more than I charge) and it was in my opinon garbage. The transition's and backdrop's used were not only cheesy, but should never have been used for an 80 year old womans birthday.
So what do you think? Insurance work, slideshow's, simple wedding etc. Do I need the more expensive program? Thanks to everyone who lasted through my rambling. Then responds.

Rhett Allen January 23rd, 2005 07:13 PM

If it works for you then why bother.
You have to ask yourself, do you NEED something else? If you don't, you answered your own question.

Professionals buy new software according to what they "need" (and sometimes not even then). Just because there is something newer does not mean it is going to do you any good, and in some cases it is actually worse (more complicated, new learning curve, requires new hardware, etc.)

That being said, if you buy a more powerful, more feature rich application, you will be better able to push your talents to the next level, charge more AND make a better product!

Pete Bauer January 23rd, 2005 07:29 PM

Hi Jason,

We shall see what others have to say...you're asking for opinions and as we all know, opinions are like (insert favorite portion of anatomy), everyone's got one.

My two cents: if you and your customers are happy with your product, and you're happy with how you arrived at it, you don't necessarily need anything more.

I'm just a hobbyist with limited experience and talent who has a good day job, so I play with an XL2 and the Adobe Video Collection Pro. I don't make a penny off of the fancy toys and just like to learn and do cool things.

People DO make good money using much less fancy stuff than I have by applying their artistic talent to their craft. You seem to have found a market for your creative stuff; that speaks for itself. There's no reason you can't use the tools that suit you.

Like they say its the musician, not the instrument! Then again, nobody would mind listening to Midori playing a Stradivarius...if you'd like software that does fancier things and are willing to learn the new software, spend some of the earnings from your last project and go for it!

Jason Gatti January 23rd, 2005 07:44 PM

Thanks Pete. I'm sure I will get many opinions and that's ok. I can only expect this. I guess I have found a nitch where I am happy with what I make. I hardly doubt I am any more atristic than you with your Adobe program. I just think there are a ton of people out there who have no desire to spend hundreds or thousands of dollar's to save their memories forever. I have also learned that people are very very lazy. I think many of these programs are made to be very simple, yet people would rather pay me to do what they could learn to do. Great for me but what a shame for them. I am amazed by the strides made in these so called home programs. I started about 3 or 4 years ago with a simple Roxio movie maker and people were amazed by that. I look back at my first project's and laugh at all the mistakes I made and how simple EVERYTHING was. Anyway thanks again.