DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Mitsubishi HDTV -- WOW!!! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/38296-mitsubishi-hdtv-wow.html)

Pete Wilie January 25th, 2005 03:33 AM

Mitsubishi HDTV -- WOW!!!

Just bought a Mitsubishi 42-inch projection HDTV. After connecting it to a new Time Warner HD DVR receiver/decoder/recorder, all I can is WOW!!!! It looks like a 35mm photograph, not a TV image.

The BEST is the Discovery HD channel -- awesome video!

And here's the really great part -- I paid only $650 for a $1500 HDTV!!! And not just any HDTV, but a Mitsubishi -- arguably one of the best HDTVs on the market!

OK, it was for an open box item, but it came with full manufacturer warranty (1-yr). For only $150, I purchased 100% parts & labor in-home extended warranty for 2 years. And I still have a great deal!

I have to say this: Viewing true HD (1080i) on a great HDTV makes me want to go out and immediately buy a HD camera so I can shoot great footage like this!

Anybody else got one of these babies?

Aaron Koolen January 25th, 2005 03:42 AM

Damn you Americans and your fandangled futuristic equipment! ;)

HD isn't even a word here in New Zealand....Everyone still thinks having a 100Hz TV is cutting edge. And the TV stations, don't get me started. Any of them heard of Widescreen even?

Aaron

Greg Boston January 25th, 2005 04:59 AM

Hey Pete,

Welcome to the HD world. I've been singing its praises since I got my Mitsubishi RP 65" WS a couple years ago. Although I don't have HD cable or satellite yet(although it's available here), I have seen some stuff from Mark Cuban's HDnet. Then there's PBS HD which has some of that beautiful outdoor scenery.

It's interesting that you made the same comment I did on earlier threads about it looking like a 35 mm photograph with motion. That really is the best way to describe true HD.

Being in a market the size of Houston, your local channels should all be offering HD but it works a little different. You have the main and sub channels available. For example, our sister station to KHOU here is WFAA. They are channel 8 in SD. On HD, you tune 8.01 and then on 8.02 they have ABC news now in a window with local wx info. Another channel puts their doppler radar on the sub channel with NOAA wx radio for audio.

Enjoy, and spread the word! Oh wait, I see you already started.(grin)

=gb=

Hey Aaron, come on up to the US. We've got room for a few more and besides, the chicks would love your english accent. ;-)

Jesse Bekas January 25th, 2005 09:25 AM

I'm waiting for UD...that where the real resolution is at! (j/k)

Pete, were you intent on buying an HD set already, or did that price suck you in?

Ignoring your current HD elation, would you have paid the $1,500 for that particular set?

Pete Wilie January 25th, 2005 11:06 AM

Greg,

Thanks for the welcome. I've been looking at HDTVs for several years now. Just been waiting for the right price!

I get all the local channels in HD via cable. Right now, Time Warner offers 19 HD channels, and is supposed to be adding new ones each month.

Since you don't have cable/satellite HD I assume you watch a lot of SD on your HDTV. Do you display SD in normal format with pillar bars, or do you stretch/zoom to fill the screen? Have you had any problems with burn-in?

Jesse,

Yes and Yes. :-)
I had decided several years ago that I wanted a HDTV -- when the prices became reasonable. I had set a price point of about $1000 for a 42-48 inch unit. When I ran across this deal for $650, I knew I had to act. The WT42315 regular price is $1500, but will go on sale from time to time for $1200-$1300.

I rarely, if ever, pay full price for anything. :-) So I probably would not have paid $1500 for this unit, although it is worth it.

Best Regards,
Pete

Jesse Bekas January 25th, 2005 11:28 AM

I'll probably start seriously considering going HD when the price/size ratio is like $500/36"...unless I get a bigger place :)

Greg Boston January 25th, 2005 10:42 PM

Pete,

I tend to watch a lot of OTA stuff which is either full 16:9 or digital 4:3 which leaves a narrow black pillarbox on each side. If I put the satellite on, I leave it standard which also displays pillarbox but they are grey and somewhat wider. You will get burn in if you don't keep a widescreen image on most of the time. The manual should (mine did) warn you about this.

I got my set on 9/11/02 as it was the last day of the Ultimate Electronics store grand opening sale when they moved into Dallas. My home had flooded from a water heater rupture and ruined my entertainment center. Ultimate had the tv at 10% off with 18 mo./no interest financing. Like you, a deal I couldn't pass up. I had also decided that it would be nice to watch DVDs in widescreen format on a large projection when I wasn't using it as an HDTV set. Although I am on the north side of Dallas, I can get all the locals using a set of amplified rabbit ears on top of the set.

regards,

=gb=