Pro Mini-DV cameras at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old January 26th, 2005, 07:15 PM   #1

Pro Mini-DV cameras

I was over at the television studio of our high school and saw 3 pro JVC studio-esq cameras that record on mini-dv, I wasn't in there for a very long time to really look at them, but they looked similar to the higher end model cams. If I was able to secure one of the cameras for a short film, what type of results should I expect in terms of lens quality & similarity to achieving a 35mm dof, im sorry I'm just not very familiar with this type of broadcast cam. I'm planning on shooting in the standard 60 then just magic bulleting it to 24... lighting of course, professional mic setup through a portable mixer, etc...
cutting it with fcp, you know the drill
anyhow, thanks for comments

-Andy Riesmeyer
Old January 26th, 2005, 08:55 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Pro Mini-DV cameras

<<<-- Originally posted by Andy Reismeyer : If I was able to secure one of the cameras for a short film, what type of results should I expect in terms of lens quality & similarity to achieving a 35mm dof -Andy Riesmeyer -->>>

None. Sorry to break it to you. It won't even come close. So now that I've stuck my foot firmly into my mouth, you need to find out specifically which cameras they are because JVC makes a lot of different one's. The best way to overcome the DOF problem is to work with it. Use creative lighting and setups to detract from it and remember you can fake some of it in post if you have to. (labor intensive I know but hey, you've got nothing better to do right?)
Rhett Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2005, 10:33 PM   #3
Wrangler

If they were truly the studio cameras with CCUs stuck on the backside of a long and thick cable, they were either 550's or the later version, the # of which I don't know.

Nice little cameras but I'd much rather have my DSR-300 (at double the price for the body, roughly the same price for lens and batteries).

If you want less DOF, a 2/3" camera is even better.

Working with the lens wide open on the 1/2 or 2/3" cameras will give you a fairly shallow depth of field at the mid to longer ends of the zoom range. Obviously not 35mm film DOF but certainly useable. It is easy to do a rack focus with a 1/2" camera that looks quite good.
Old January 27th, 2005, 07:57 AM   #4
Major Player

andy,

in term of format, mini dv is pretty good. but when you compare images capture with different camera (ccd size) 2/3" ccd will definately win hands down in term of sharpness.

as for dof, i would agree you work with lighting to achieve what you want. film camera usually used prime lens compare to zoom lenses on video camera. its easier to work out a shallow dof with prime lens. another way to work around this for zoom lens, is to position the camera as far as you can from the subject and use the tele side of it. if this is not posible, work with lighting and add a nd filter or two in front of the lens. i also find it easier to acheive shallow dof working with zoom lens with 2x converter.

for outdoor shot, work with higher shutter speed so that you can open up those iris. disadvantage, no fast movement by the subject or it will look "stroby". i would do some test first.

finally, to have the video look some what "like film", work on it during the post.

i have never work with film so, i think my thought are just on the surface of what really involve. maybe the pro can help out further.

ed
Ed Liew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2005, 03:32 PM   #5

thanks guys, that's alot of help, i'll be back in there tomorrow to find out the camera make & model.... i'm a trained still photographer (3 years of it and now AP Independent Study, ahh school is so great) and so i think that really helps to have that as the primary focus. I've been using the xl1-s but I'm really growing out of it. I really like using HD, but its such a !@#$% to edit. We're really pushing dv to the limits though arent we? This film is a short in many series, snappy and orignal.. I cant wait. one again, thanks for the input.

-Andy

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion