DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   To get started (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/389-get-started.html)

Bob Zimmerman November 23rd, 2001 08:23 PM

To get started

I plan on buying the XL1s. Can anyone tell me the basic stuff I will need to get started in business. What kind of editing software,etc. I need to put a firewire card in my computer to start. I used to shoot wedding video on VHS and then transfer over justing using the camera and a VCR. But that was years ago. What is the best way to tranfer to VHS now? Does the XL1s have the jacks to hook up to a VCR to tranfer on to that format? This will take some time to learn, but I would like to start out on the right foot. If anyone can get me pointed in the right direction that would be great.

Adam Coward November 23rd, 2001 09:36 PM

it would be a good idea if you went to the watchdog site... its got all the information you should need to start out

Mark Chiocchi November 23rd, 2001 11:05 PM

How much do you have to spend.

I have $20,000 in my editing system. I use the dps Velocity 3D

www.dps.com

Bob Zimmerman November 24th, 2001 07:12 PM

Rockford I have the $3,000 for the camera. I'll have to start small on the editing stuff. I guess you can plug the camera into a VCR a record from the camera can't you!!! That's really cheap! I hope to do alittle better than that to start.

Bob Zimmerman November 24th, 2001 07:13 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by thatsdamnright : it would be a good idea if you went to the watchdog site... its got all the information you should need to start out -->>> Thanks,,,I'll go back and read it.

Mark Chiocchi November 24th, 2001 07:28 PM

There are a few editing systems you can get like the Matorx RT 2000 or the new Pinnacle Pro-ONE looks like a good system for the price.

Minimum System Requirements
Pentium III 700 or faster compatible processor
1 x 32-bit PCI 2.1 slot
128 MByte RAM
500 MByte hard disk capacity for installation
9 GByte A/V rated video hard disk (20 GB tbd)
High Color display adapter with DirectDraw drivers
CD-ROM drive for installation
PCI Sound board
External video monitor or TV set
Video device, DV camcorder
Windows 98 SE, ME
Hardware Components
The following processors are compatible with Pinnacle Pro-ONE:
Intel Pentium III, 700MHz or higher
Intel Pentium IV
AMD Athlon, 700MHz or higher
The following processors are not compatible with Pinnacle Pro-ONE:
Intel Celeron
AMD Duron
AMD K6
AMD K6-II

Bob Zimmerman November 24th, 2001 11:23 PM

Rockford I still have a Pent II. I guess I need to just get something to start learning the basic stuff. Are the video editting stuff you find at Circut City, office depot, Best buy any good or is that just throwing money away? I don't plan on shooting for any big companies (yet), maybe a few wedding and some stuff for fun. I just have this real desire to try something. I was shooting still pictures for weddings and some portait stuff a few years ago. The plan is to start off small and work up. I plan on dropping most of my cash on the XL1s. That should be a good start.
What kind of video do you take? Thanks for your help.

Mark Chiocchi November 24th, 2001 11:29 PM

Zimvg304,

I don't know what those stores have. I think you would be throwing money away.

I was a photographer for 12 years and been video weddings for 9 years.

What are you looking to speed on a editing system.

Ed Frazier November 25th, 2001 07:05 AM

Your PII might work

While faster systems are certainly better, it is possible (depending on the editor chosen) to get by with a PII.

I run the Matrox RT2500 on a Dell PII450 and it works just fine (most of the time). There are other editors though that need more horsepower. The $100 cards I think you are referring to probably require that everything be rendered before you can see what you've done, and that would be a royal pain in my opinion.

At least with the RT2500/2000, the timeline and analog output is real time for most operations. Digital output still requires renderring with this card, but since I generally output directly to VHS, this hasn't been a problem (yet).

Ed Frazier

Chris Hurd November 25th, 2001 12:04 PM

Stay *away* from the Best Buy / Office Depot junk.

I strongly reccomend Canopus editing solutions over Matrox or Pinnacle.

Canopus offers real-time output to DV, and has a better reputation of service, support and customer satisfaction. Check them out at www.justedit.com

Some of their cards are a bit more expensive but you definitely get what you pay for. Some of their cards require dual-processor computers, but processors and RAM are *dirt cheap* these days.

The Canopus DVStorm will deliver real-time performance on a dual PIII 800mhz system which you can put together for under $3,000.

In general you'll want to spend as much on the editing system as you did on the camera. If that doesn't even out, consider spending less on the camera.

Canopus does have some less expensive DV editing cards. The EZDV is only $200 and the famous DVRaptor is down to less than $500.

Don't overlook Canopus -- I can't emphasize enough how much better their cards, service and support base are over Matrox and Pinnacle. Hope this helps,

Bob Zimmerman November 25th, 2001 03:24 PM

Rockford I was hoping to get by spending $200 or 300 bucks. But that isn't looking so good after talking to you guys.

Hurd,,I'll check that edit website out. Maybe I need to look some of that stuff over too. I narrowed the cameras down to the XL1s and maybe the Sony DP150. I am not going to drop any cheaper. I'll just have to move up in the edit department as I get more money.

Nathan Gifford November 25th, 2001 06:22 PM

I doubt you will find much of an editing system for that money. If you are still trying to do it cheap and do not mind the long rendering time, you could still use Adobe's Premiere or Discreet's CineStream. I would recommend upgrading to at least a PIII.

There are some low end editing systems but there are very limited in what they can do. Some give you very limited audio and video mixing capabilities.

You know that reminds me, I think Canon had a special giving you CineStream. It would still be a very good idea to upgrade to PIII because CS using OHCI card needs it. Its Lynx board is not W2K compliant, but will work on PII system. The Lynx is a real bear to install on W2K.

Nathan Gifford

Henry Czuprinski November 26th, 2001 05:54 PM

N'other idea maybe

Give the guy a break- get a used Apple IMAC

Nathan Gifford November 26th, 2001 09:34 PM

Yeah, but he's not gonna get one for $200-$300

There are lots of pricey solutions. I agree that you will likely have less problems with a MAC.

Bob Zimmerman November 27th, 2001 03:44 AM

That Cinestream isn't to bad i went to that website..www.justedit.com,,,I'd just have to upgrade my computer some. I need something easy to learn. Years ago with my old RCA 20 pound camcorder I would plug into my stereo and dub over music. It was just for fun, but it came out ok. So I need to move up from there!!! I could go out and buy $20,000 in editting stuff and wouldn't get nothing done. Like I said I need the basic stuff and I will work up. I just want something good, because I think the edit part might be kind of fun. That's why I want something easy to learn. I don't want to get bogged down with stuff I don't need right now.