DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Looking for info on L2 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/39099-looking-info-l2.html)

Brandt Wilson February 8th, 2005 04:10 PM

Looking for info on L2

I'm looking into buying a Canon L2, but can find little info about it, either on the board or elsewhere.

How would the image quality compare to a newer MiniDV camera, like an Optura 30, under the same lighting conditions?

Would the image quality and dropout stability improve to capture directly into a laptop?

Possibly more Q's to come.

Thanks,
Brandt

Rob Lohman February 9th, 2005 05:45 AM

Is there a specific reason you are looking for an L2? This is an
old HI-8 camera (might be single chip as well)...

Brandt Wilson February 9th, 2005 10:29 AM

Hi Rob,

There's one available local to me, and I'm looking for inexpensive cameras with larger sensors to keep image quality up. This is mostly for educational purposes. I'm preparing to teach class and want for my students inexpensive equipment capable of high quality images, and I remember that the L2 was the flagship product prior to the XL1.

But, if the newer gear like the Optura 20 or 30 will provide superior image quality and low light sensitivity, that would be an obvious choice.

Mathieu Ghekiere February 9th, 2005 12:07 PM

I don't know how much your budget is, but my nephew has a Panasonic GS400 wich isn't a expensive cam too, and it also has 3 chips and (reasonable) great picture quality...

Good luck.

Chris Hurd February 12th, 2005 06:26 PM

I cannot recommend any older Hi8 camcorder and I'd like to firmly advise against you getting into an L2.

The problem is that all older Hi8 camcorders are highly prone to a very common problem of leaking capacitors. If this has not yet happened with your particular L2, rest assured that it's only a matter of time before it self-destructs. This camcorder is so old that it is no longer supported by Canon Factory service. In my opinion you're just asking for trouble with these older Hi8's.

Do yourself a favor and stick with DV. Hope this helps,

Bryan McCullough February 12th, 2005 08:47 PM

I've got an L2 sitting on a shelf in my office as part of my 'camera history' collection.

I wouldn't bother with it. It was king in its day, but that day was over 10 years ago.

Mathieu Ghekiere February 12th, 2005 08:55 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Bryan McCullough : I've got an L2 sitting on a shelf in my office as part of my 'camera history' collection.

I wouldn't bother with it. It was king in its day, but that day was over 10 years ago. -->>>

This is completely off topic, but I'd like to ask anyway: does someone over here think our new camera's from now will be on a shelf too, over 10 years?
I think one can almost be sure it will be so, but it's... such a strange idea... Just the idea that for example the XL2 wich now is a real beautiful piece of equipment that isn't surpassed (well, I mean Standard Definition, and the technical specs) but over 10 years it may just be sold somewhere for 200 bucks or so, as antique...
Or do you guys think because it's digital (compared to the analog Hi8 of the L2) it will keep it's strength...?
Offcourse there will always come a new camcorder to replace another but...

hmmm just leave it, it's to late, I should be sleeping instead of asking myself such moody questions.

Chris Hurd February 12th, 2005 09:20 PM

Mathieu, in my opinion anything today that uses tape for a recording medium will be considered worthless junk in a few years (much less than ten). The real question is, how quickly (and how many times) can you make your camcorder pay for itself before it quits working or before the next new, great format renders it obsolete. In this day and age, I think you should be upgrading your primary camera every five years at the very least anyway!

Mathieu Ghekiere February 15th, 2005 12:56 PM

Yeah you are probably right.
Now, indeed, if you do weddings an concert registrations (besides your indie film work) you can probably pay it time by time. Good accesoires are also (more?) expensive and many times you can keep using them.

well, just... the topic just made me think a little bit :-)
Thanks for the reply.

Dan Mumford February 25th, 2005 12:24 PM

Tape is sure to become a thing of the past, but at least we can always record to hard drive with the XL2. (or any camera with firewire)

Dan