DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Looking for love in all the wrong places (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/40108-looking-love-all-wrong-places.html)

George R. Rivers III February 25th, 2005 12:42 PM

Looking for love in all the wrong places

Does anyone know where I could find a list of movies that were shot with a canon xl2 or any other 24p video camera.

Or perhaps make a suggestion of feature films that you know of shot using a canon xl2 or other 24p video camera.

-gRiv3

Marco Leavitt February 25th, 2005 12:53 PM

I may be wrong, but I don't think any movies have made it into widespread release yet that were shot with the XL2 or DVX100. I think it takes a really long time to make it to the screen and the XL2 is still very new. Supposedly there was a whole bunch of films shot on the DVX100 that were screened at Sundance this year, including one directed by Steve Buscemi. I'm very curious myself.

George R. Rivers III February 25th, 2005 12:57 PM

Still looking

Thanks -
I believe that 'Open Water' was shot with a video camera. I would really like to know if there is a list somewhere.

-gRiv3

John Britt February 25th, 2005 01:16 PM

Re: Still looking

<<<-- Originally posted by George R. Rivers III :
I believe that 'Open Water' was shot with a video camera. -->>>

Well, this is very different from your original question. Open Water was shot with a 60i camera, from what I understand (I've heard PD150, someone correct me if I'm wrong). That's not 24p, as you asked. Likewise, 28 Days Later was shot with an XL1s in frame mode (but not 24p).

There was a movie titled "November" that was shot with the DVX100, and it has been well-discussed on this site. Try searching/reviewing the DVX100 forum archives and you will dig up info on this movie, and probably others.

Ed Liew February 25th, 2005 10:30 PM

i know of one ghost movie, Visits: Hungry Ghost Anthology - http://www.visits.com.my/, shot using dvx100 here in malaysia. it was very well made.

ed

Mike Rehmus February 27th, 2005 03:58 PM

American Yearbook was shot with the DVX. Don't know if it ever made it into distribution.

George R. Rivers III February 27th, 2005 04:40 PM

Thanks all

I was really looking for examples of money making feature films that were made with a DV camera - that made it to theatrical release. --
So far lots of art crap and junk made where only the maker and his family would want to watch it.

"28 days later" is the only example so far that is really viable.

John Britt February 27th, 2005 05:24 PM

Re: Thanks all

<<<-- Originally posted by George R. Rivers III :So far lots of art crap and junk made where only the maker and his family would want to watch it. -->>>

Wow. I'm sure the many members here at dvinfo.net who create shorts and feature-length movies in DV really appreciate that comment. In fact, I invite you to post this opinion in the "DV for the Masses" section of this site and see what kind of reaction you get. Or did you not not notice the name of this site: DVinfo.net?

Steve Witt February 27th, 2005 05:29 PM

yes

I know that the Movie "Full Frontal" was shot entirely with a canon XL1s. The movie has Julia Roberts, Brad Pitt and several other big names just to name a few. Search the movie title and the canon XL1s together and you can read all day long on the web how this has help to start the Film VS. Video revolution in hollywood.
http://www.ciao.co.uk/Canon_DM_XL1S__Review_5480813

George R. Rivers III February 27th, 2005 05:40 PM

Nothing personal

I did not mean to ruffle any feathers, lads -

Ed Liew February 27th, 2005 08:54 PM

george,
if you do a search on google, you'll find alot more info on full feature film done with xl1 and dvx100. i know of one done by a japanese director using dvx100, a few others shot in malaysia and singapore using the xl1 camera. all these movie were very well produced, with full film production crew with film support equipment. i can't recall the titles of these movies as it was done when this camera was launch years back.

ed

James Connors February 28th, 2005 04:26 AM

Theres definitely a list as I saw it in another thread, but I cannot remember which one I'm afraid :( I think it was titled around Open Water tho, I'll have a look in a second.

I liked "Pieces of April" a lot, I need to rewatch it now I have a 150.. would love a proper indepth "Making Of" to see what work they did on it after shooting, and what they had bolted on the camera accessories wise. It needs the full LOTR 12 disc treatment just for me ;)

Tim Borek February 28th, 2005 01:41 PM

Re: Still looking

<<<-- Originally posted by George R. Rivers III : Thanks -
I believe that 'Open Water' was shot with a video camera. I would really like to know if there is a list somewhere.

-gRiv3 -->>>
"Open Water" was shot on a Sony PD-150 and VX2000. The DVD's Making of... feature shows an actual receipt of the gear purchased for the shoot -- camcorders, mics, underwater housing, the whole nine yards. Plus the cameras get a lot of screen time in the documentary too. Pretty nifty piece.

"Pieces of April" was shot with DVX100. I remember reading about in eMedia last year.

James Connors February 28th, 2005 05:24 PM

Re: Re: Still looking

<<<-- Originally posted by Tim Borek : "Pieces of April" was shot with DVX100. I remember reading about in eMedia last year. -->>>

The DVX100 wasn't even out when POA was shot was it? Everything I've ever read says PD150 (PAL model I believe).

Google tends to agree...

edit:

The list of all the DV films. Its pretty neat! I just Ctrl-F, type my camera in and smile whenever something comes up :)

David Regenthal February 28th, 2005 05:44 PM

Looking for love in all the wrong places

yep, simple...use the imdb technical search. here's a list of the 97 flicks that show up for "dvx100" http://www.imdb.com/SearchTechnical?for=dvx100&Go.x=15&Go.y=7&Go=Go