DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   final choice (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/40533-final-choice.html)

Spike Spiegel March 5th, 2005 12:37 AM

final choice

Hi guys, ok i know i've made a lot of posts regardin which camera to pick. But final showdown is between a panasonic agdvc30 and a sony vx2000. Seriously, i'm dying here, which to pick? On the one hand vx2k is outdated, ag-dvc30 is brand new. Agdvc30 has smaller CCDS than the sony, and yet its number of pixesl are higher... I'm going crazy! Lol, which should i pick? Which has truely higher quality visuals? thats all i'm caring for right now, thanks guys.

Chris Hurd March 5th, 2005 01:02 AM

I know I'm gonna sound like a broken record -- but I really mean it here -- the right camera for you is the one which *feels best* in your hands. End of story,

Spike Spiegel March 5th, 2005 02:29 AM

but in terms of picture quality, they are both the same? Doesn't the vx have a larger CCD?

Patrick Jenkins March 5th, 2005 06:44 AM

I think the general consensus is that once you start looking at a $1500+ camera (for SD), they're all equally 'good enough' for most things you'd use it for. At that level, there really aren't any lemons.

Get the one that feels better to carry, or the one that looks cooler to use. The capabilities are going to be largely the same.

Shawn Mielke March 6th, 2005 09:03 PM

Unless you're going to be shooting weddings or otherwise intend on shooting at ridiculously low light levels, the dvc30 is a great looking little camera. For short films, it's the one I would go with, of the two.

Adam Folickman March 7th, 2005 04:51 AM

If you can, rent both and try them out.

I have read somewhere that the default colors on Sony and Panasonic differ but I don't remember exactly how. Maybe somebody else knows.

Mathieu Ghekiere March 7th, 2005 07:08 AM

Bigger chips also give you more low light capability, if I'm not mistaken. But offcourse other things are also important (colour rendition, controls, framerates, possibilities,...)
Ow, and the bigger the chips, the smaller the DOF, I think.

Joe Garnero March 11th, 2005 10:08 AM

For me it's the DVC30. Since it is my primary (only) camera I want to be able to conveniently use it for family vacation shots as well as hobby/pro train-chasing clips. The dvc is smaller in its minimal configuration, equally capable in its maximaum configuration and throws in the true B/W IR for additional fun.

I like the vx2k but its sheer size would lead me to leave it in the case more than not; same problem with the gl-2.

I also like the viewfinder on the 30 better than the vx but that is left to your personal taste; you may prefer the lcd panel.

I have never had a decision so difficult than buying a video camera. Your choice is relatively simple now. Just pick one, try it on, and if you like it keep it. Buy from a reputable dealer with liberal return/exchange polisies (B&H) that way if you choose wrong the first time - then try the other. It sounds like you are leaning toward the dvc30 so start there - - - and good luck.

Richard Alvarez March 11th, 2005 10:15 AM

Okay, I know your conflicted here, and need some expert advice. So I shook up the magic eight ball and it says.

"Yes"

So there you have it. Good luck.

Spike Spiegel March 12th, 2005 01:21 AM

thanks for the advices guys, i've gone for the vx2k. Size is not a problem for me. The low light shooting factor is a biggie for me, at times i might not have ANY control of lighting. Most of the shoots will be done from a tripod so portability isn't my concern. The camera was used, but it was from a professional camera man who is upgrading to hd format (ie z1). Thanks again for all your input