The Shaky Camera Music Video at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old October 8th, 2002, 07:41 PM   #1
GreenRubberPlant

The Shaky Camera Music Video

In a lot of music videos, the shaking camera really gives a feel of an earthquake at high intensity. When it shakes violently, there seems to be a high shutter speed as well as blurs that go to the motion of the shaking. I'm not sure if this is the correct description of this technique. The red hot chili peppers music video "by the way" uses this pretty well. I was wondering how you would do this technique whether it be in production or post. I would appreciate any advice that i can get on acheiving this effect on dv. Thanks.
Old October 8th, 2002, 08:08 PM   #2
Major Player

Experiment!
B. Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2002, 08:59 PM   #3
Regular Crew

A lot of cinematographers actually do shake the camera during filming to craeate the Earthquake effect. You can actually see them doing it in behind the scenes videos. These effects created for say, the Chili Peppers video is done in post. Mainly because they can control how much and when these effects take place. You can do it without special post production software. Just shake the camera--but be careful you don't shake something loose.
Kelly Hoggard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2002, 12:22 AM   #4
Wrangler

The most practical way to shake the image as an in-camera effect is with a device made and rented by Clairmount Camera in Hollywood. It essentially does the exact opposite that the Steadyshot does in camcorders, optically destabilizes a stable image! Much more controllable and safer than attempting to violently shake the camera (can be a bit dicey with the film load).
Old October 9th, 2002, 03:49 PM   #5
Major Player

I remember someone (Clairmont?) contructing a violent earthquake motor that went under tha base plate. Nothing I would put an $$$ Arri or Panavision on...
Old October 9th, 2002, 09:27 PM   #6
GreenRubberPlant

About the clairmont camera shaker

About the clairmont camera shaker. Can it destabalize a DV image instead of a film image?
Old October 9th, 2002, 09:48 PM   #7
Wrangler

Sure, any camera can be put behind it. It would be an expensive way to go though. Clairmount doesn't seem to have their rental catalog online and out of town this week, but when I get back I'll try to get the rental rates on that item for you.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion