Dude, where's my post? (or, why so many threads are moved) - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old August 2nd, 2004, 01:22 AM   #16
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by Nick Medrano
IMHO, I think it's better to keep things straight-forward so that way people can find what they need quickly and efficiently, even if it means being boring: AUDIO, LIGHTING, TAPES, etc. This is also easier for people who do not speak English well.
-->>>

Yeah, us video guys are a quirky bunch...

If you want to play a fun game, try and find all the hidden Pink Floyd references... :)
Old August 26th, 2004, 06:26 PM   #17
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Chris Hurd : Which begs the question, are our forum titles and descriptions confusing to our readers? -->>>

On one hand, I like the forum titles -- they are cute and interesting!?!?!

On the other hand, the cute titles make it harder to quickly identify the forum you want.

This is really a user-interface issue.

Do you want your app to be cute and funny, or easy to use?
Do you want new users to be able to quickly and easily find the correct/best forum to post their questions?

Someone said:
>>Well, I guess that's why the descriptions are there.
As long as the descriptions are clear, there really aren't any problems.<<

I have to disagree. If you have to read both the title and the description to even get an idea of the subject of the forum, then you're making the user do un-necessary work.

The cute/clever titles make it extra hard on international users whose first language is not English.

Most of us are very busy people. We don't have time to read a paragraph when a few words will do. Titles are like signposts -- if the signpost is misleading, you don't even go down the road to see the details.

The first rule of U/I design is to make your app as clear and intuitive as possible. If you can be cute/interesting WITHOUT compromising rule #1, then that's a bonus.

There are plenty of ways to keep the site interesting without making the forum titles confusing and/or misleading.

Just my 2c.
Jim Underwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2004, 07:59 PM   #18
Major Player

Hi Jim,
As you can see from my earlier posts, I agree.

I still spend some needless seconds reading and re-reading the post titles and their descriptions to make sure I am posting in the right category.

Remember...Keep It Simple Stupid (KISS)
Nick Medrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2004, 07:33 AM   #19
Warden

This may be of help to many of our members. Be patient, it loads slow, even with broadband. Some of our members may need to watch it twice.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2004, 08:26 AM   #20
Old Boot

Jim - true, true . . true . . . . .
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2004, 08:31 AM   #21
Wrangler

Jeff - that's very funny. I especially like the water stains on the title slides.

Nick - as you have posted here 243 times, it's hard for me to understand how you could possibly not understand what the different forums are about by now. I think I managed to figure it all out the first day. I suspect the time spent here posting about the user interface is much more than the "needless seconds" spent trying to understand the forum titles.

But in the end, this is Chris' website, and the titles of the forums give you a little insight into his sense of humor. I'm sure he will read your comments, and maybe they will influence some of his decisions in the future. But with 11,600 members and 211,000 posts online it doesn't seem that any of these user interface issues are creating much of a problem...
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2004, 09:17 AM   #22
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Jeff Donald : This may be of help to many of our members. Be patient, it loads slow, even with broadband. Some of our members may need to watch it twice. -->>>

That loaded way too long and I closed it. It broke rule #1. I left the website.

What was it about?
Old August 27th, 2004, 10:54 AM   #23
Warden

Nick, when you have the time try and let it load. It's just a cute cartoon about posting and rules.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2004, 11:00 AM   #24
Major Player

I will Jeff, thanks.
Old February 21st, 2006, 07:19 AM   #25
Trustee

To be honest, I also think the main title headings should be simple and relate directly to that section, such as : Tapes, Audio, Lighting, etc, and the 'quirky' titles such as 'long black line', 'still crazy' etc should be placed in the sub-headings.

For longterm regulars there are no problems, but there is no doubt that someone who is new to the forums or quickly scanning down the page to find important headings, could find it frustrating, or miss important section headings.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 06:19 AM   #26
New Boot

Just to add my .02. I am new to this site and I have/had zero problems navigating to the correct area of interest. I think Chris has done a great job in taking a subject that can be rather dry and staunch and he inserted a little humor. I am still greatly confused by people that are saying that reading the sub-title is "too" much information and they simply do not have the "time" to read it. Point is this, if the additional 5-10 words in the sub-title tax you either in your mental capacity or in your amount of time on the web, then you really do not have the intellect or the time to read the material actually inside the forum section your looking for. One of my favorite saying to date and it has never proven itself to be false: "You can please all of the people some of the time, and some of the people all of the time, but never all of the people all of the time." This is one of the situations where the minority would be those that have issue with the catchy titles. Great job Chris.
Chris Bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2007, 04:46 PM   #27
Regular Crew

I for one find the forum title hilarious :D

But - if I may play the devil's advocate for a moment - some of my collegues and friends find the titles very confusing. Mainly because they are not as fluent in English as I am.
You must remember that there are users (like me) who do not live in an English speaking country and have a hard time already deciphering the english in the posts.

Like I said, no prob for me. I find it gives the forum a unique look and feel. And I am all for it.

Cheers from Belgium
Arthur
Arthur Kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2007, 11:36 PM   #28
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Medrano View Post
I have been using this forum for almost two years now. I still find the forum titles confusing.....
I don't have that problem, but for me there are so many separate forums that it's sometimes hard to sift through all of them, and their descriptions, to figure out what fits where best.

Having said that, I don't mind at all if a moderator moves a post of mine to a more appropriate forum.
Phil Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2007, 09:15 AM   #29
Major Player

Dude, where's my post? No really, where is it?

I fully understand the forum titles (at least the ones I frequent) and I have no problem with moderators moving things around (yes, let's keep things tidy).

Here's my question: Yesterday I posted a new thread in the "Open Dv Discussion" about an international video program. Where did it get moved to? Or was it deleted? Did I do something wrong in posting the thread?

I did a search about the program before I posted to see if there were any relevant threads. No results were returned on the handful of searches, so I thought it would be OK to start a new thread. I'm not affiliated with the program, just curious about it. Wondering if anyone has experience with it. But now the thread is gone. If I broke a rule about posting, just let me know what I did wrong and I won't do it again. If it was a taboo topic (I can't imagine it was, but who knows) then let me know and I won't bring it up again.

Could the moderator that removed my post send me an email and let me know why it was removed? I don't want to make trouble. I don't want to break the rules. I really enjoy this forum. I've learned a lot here.

Thanks,
Kevin
Old October 31st, 2007, 09:46 AM   #30
Obstreperous Rex

Kevin, it's been temporarily withdrawn from public view due to some flaming responses it received. Most likely it will be restored minus a reply or two (as personal flames are never allowed on this site). Look for it to reappear soon in the Taking Care of Business forum.

Edit: thread has been restored to http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=106901

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion