Dude, where's my post? (or, why so many threads are moved) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old October 10th, 2002, 06:23 PM   #1
Obstreperous Rex

Dude, where's my post?

Howdy from Texas,

If you recently made a post in this forum and suddenly you aren't seeing it anymore, don't panic. Most likely, either myself or one of the moderators simply moved it to a more appropriate forum.

For instance, just recently a post about copyright issues was moved to the Taking Care of Business forum, and a post about shoulder braces was moved to the Support Your Local Camera forum.

With regard to threads which are moved within 24 hours or so of their initial posting, we'll leave an automatic re-direct which takes you right to that thread's new location in another forum. These are the threads with the "arrow" symbol and they're marked as "Moved:" to let you know they've been put somewhere else.

With older threads, we generally move these without leaving the re-directs, which can clutter the boards somewhat. If you're looking for a certain topic and it's no longer here, try checking whichever other forum was better suited for that discussion. You can also use the search tool, and search for specific words or topics, or a list of posts made by you or any particular community member.

In the long run, this process helps with archiving the threads where they really belong, and aids the searchability and overall organization of the community boards as well.

Don't worry, there's no punishment phase for this... nobody's going to slam you for dropping a post here if it doesn't really belong. Open DV Discussion is meant as a sort of catch-all forum anyway. But sometimes certain topics really need to be filed elsewhere, such as camera-specific questions for instance, and generally we'll just come in behind you and quietly re-locate such posts to other areas which are more appropriate.

Ultimately however we're all very grateful if you take into consideration for which specific forum your topic is best suited, and make the effort to put it there yourself in the first place.

Much respect,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2004, 05:24 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Just wondering why something like "shoulder braces" would be put under Support Your Local Camera? I always thought that part was for mainly asking pricing questions and what camera shops generally have availiable, something like a general shoulder brace question or something like that doesn't seem like it would really fit there. Is my understanding incorrect?
Tim Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2004, 07:05 PM   #3
Major Player

Tim,

In this case, the support being discussed is not of the moral type but instead the physical type. Typically tripods/heads and other devices used to help stabilize your shots.
Rob Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2004, 07:32 PM   #4
Wrangler

If you go to the DVinfo home page you'll see a brief description of each forum, in this case:

Support Your Local Camera
Sticks, Pods, Braces, Cranes and other mounting issues.

If you're new around here then I suggest you take a quick look there so your posts end up in the right place. This will improve your chances of getting helpful responses to your questions!
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2004, 07:40 PM   #5
Regular Crew

HA! I got it. Wow...that one flew right over my head. I know I noticed how most of the forums did have names like that, and I knew what the rest are intented for, but for some reason this one flew right over me! The other part is that I've never browsed that part of the forum...
Old January 19th, 2004, 08:02 PM   #6
Obstreperous Rex

Which begs the question, are our forum titles and descriptions confusing to our readers?

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2004, 09:15 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Well I got all the other ones, I see it now, I'm sure if the users read the description under them there is no problem, I'd just never browsed that forum and never read the description under it, or I had and didn't pay much attention to it.

I saw this post and read where it went to and didn't make sense to me, thats all, if I had been browsing I'm sure I would have seen it.
Old July 31st, 2004, 11:34 PM   #8
Major Player

I have been using this forum for almost two years now. I still find the forum titles confusing.....
Nick Medrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2004, 09:07 AM   #9
Wrangler

Care to elaborate on that? If you start from the home page you will see a concise description of each forum.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2004, 09:15 AM   #10
RED Code Chef

To add to Boyd's question, are there particular ones you find
most confusing?

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2004, 07:36 PM   #11
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Chris Hurd : Which begs the question, are our forum titles and descriptions confusing to our readers? -->>>
No.

Dennis Vogel
Dennis Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2004, 08:11 PM   #12
Regular Crew

I really like the forum titles and have never had a problem with them. They are very clear, and the subheadings are even clearer. I think the clever titles (such as "Still Crazy") are much better than using boring straightforward ones (like if it were simply called "Still Cameras").
Darrell Hinton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2004, 10:52 PM   #13
Major Player

Well, that's exactly the problem...."Still Crazy"....what does that mean? Crazy about what? If it weren't for the description below, I probably would've never known what that forum was about.

The others are:

"The Long Black Line"....the long black what? Do you mean a boom pole?

"NOw Hear This".....what is this...a forum for soapbox speeches?

"Support Your Local Camera"....took me a while to figure out what it meant without reading the description below....I thought it meant support your local camera groups, etc.

IMHO, I think it's better to keep things straight-forward so that way people can find what they need quickly and efficiently, even if it means being boring: AUDIO, LIGHTING, TAPES, etc. This is also easier for people who do not speak English well.

However, I love the forum and I am perfectly happy with the way it is now;-)
Nick Medrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2004, 11:26 PM   #14
Major Player

"If it weren't for the description below, I probably would've never known what that forum was about"

Well, I guess that's why the descriptions are there.
As long as the descriptions are clear, there really aren't any problems.

"Support Your Local Camera"....took me a while to figure out what it meant without reading the description below"

My question would be, if we can't trust that people will read the short description, what makes us think that they will read the anything whether it's straightforward or not?

And, if someone can't figure out what a certain title means, why wouldn't they read the description?
Luis Caffesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2004, 11:35 PM   #15
Old Boot

.. . ugghhh ...

Let's have a thread about "Sense of Humour"? Oh yes please ! ! ! That would be really neat - and kinda tidy too. I like tidiness, everything in its right place and .. . .well . . . kinda tidy too!

Think about tape? "The Long Black Line" - got it?

It's really for new users of DVinfo. I remember when I first came here for my XM2 - "Son of WATCHDOG" ? Now what's all THAT about? I thought it was pretty kool and not unlike Alice in Wonderland. Do I wanna be part of a Web site that is a bit light hearted and isn't so far up its rear-end that it can "lighten-up" a bit? You Betcha! . . .

More please !

My best regards Nick,

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion