Tools for predicting the path of the sun at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old April 6th, 2005, 12:13 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Tools for predicting the path of the sun

I have a palm pilot program that gives me the degree and azimuth readings for the suns' location at any time during the day. Is there a tool that anyone has used that combine a compass and sextant? IF not can anyone recommend acompact sextant that could be used for this purpose. Does anyone have experience working with anything similar to this?
Dan McCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2005, 12:52 PM   #2
Inner Circle

in video , i always believed that it was enough to know that the sun start at east and finish at west and that it is better to have it in the back when filming.
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2005, 01:32 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Filmtools.com sells both the program and the tools for sightings.
Sunpath for windows is a program, and a 'clinometer' is a compass and inclinometer in one. Also check out http://www.wide-screen.com/sunPATH/index.shtml for more software and the 'tools' button for clinometers

TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THE BEST LIGHT

A sunPATH report can easily answer these questions.

When will the sun come between the buildings or other objects? Where should the set be built to receive "side light" 2 months from now?

When will the sun go behind the trees?

When will the direct sun no longer be on the road?

How early can the crew start working without artificial light?

When will "magic hour" start and end?

These are the sorts of questions that can be answered by using such software and hardware. And yes, I've used it while shooting 'video'.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2005, 02:46 PM   #4
Capt. Quirk

You could always use Stonehenge, however, it isn't very portable ;)
Old April 6th, 2005, 02:59 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I used a free online (java?) calculator once to predict my camera position for capturing a sunrise (I had to set up in the dark on the day of the shoot with a compass). I can't find the site again, but it asked for longitude, latitude, elevation, and date.

The resulting 90-min shot looks incredible in timelapse.
There's no way for you to know if what I'm saying is true unless you know what the truth is, and there's no way for you to know what the truth is unless there is a truth that you can know. -- Frank Peretti
Jeremy Davidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2005, 03:13 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Right, if you know your location's lattitude and longitude, then you can find out the sun's location. Then go to the spot with a compass, and 'clinometer' and you will be able to spot where it will be in the sky at a particualr moment in time.

Will it be behind the building? Will it clear the tree line in time for the shot? Which way should the camera face to pick up the side light? These are the sorts of things that can be usefull ahead of time.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2005, 10:46 PM   #7
Regular Crew

GPS

A cheap GPS will give you sunrise and sunset times for the longitude and latitude you are at (or any other coordinates) It does not know about hills, valleys or buildings but you should be able to estimate the timing ok. Also means you can be at the location long enough before the golden hour to set up. There is probably other software that can use the coordinates to give more information also. Don't know haven't looked yet. Might now as I have a GPS.

TwoBit Digital Inc.
Video and Computer Geek
P4 3.06GHz, 2GB RAM, Matrox RT.x100, dual head display
Devlyn Hukowich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2005, 06:52 AM   #8
Inner Circle

The purpose of the clinometer, is to determine exactly where in the sky, the sun will be. Most of us can stand on a location and point vaguely to the east, and look at a newspaper and say. "Sunrise is at 6:25 am... over there." And usually, that's enough.

But I've been in situations where I needed to know, when the sunrise cleared a tree line, when the sun was going to be between two buildings in downtown Houston, If the face of a clock was going to be in shadow or light at (9:00 am).... things like that, you need to be on the location, with the clinometer, looking in the right direction so you can say... "No, the sun won't clear the trees untill 8:15, so we need to reschedule the shot" or "Instead of putting the camera here, if we move it there, we'll get a nice side light".

The suntracking software actually prints out a little track in the sky with the sun's coordinates at specific points. It's handy.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion