DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Thieves! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/42611-thieves.html)

Marco Leavitt April 7th, 2005 07:16 PM

Thieves!

My partner just got mugged. She's okay, mostly. The side of her face is a little puffy, but our beloved GL1 is now in the hands of some slimy bastard. I never wrote down the serial number, but we have the original box. There's a sticker on there with a group of numbers. Is one of these the serial number? Can't wait until those jerks find out the heads are out of alignment. We were just about to send the camera in, and I can guarantee they're not going to be able to run more than handful of tapes through it. Is there a way to notify Canon so that if the camera ever comes in for servicing they can seize it? Is there anything else we can do? I suppose, given the GL1's age we were due for another camera anyway, but the thought of some thieving scumbag getting his greasy hands all over our baby just turns my stomach. I kind of wanted to hold on to this camera too. It was our first, and I was going to keep it around as a memento. They also got our WD58, and a real nice Tamarac camera bag.

K. Forman April 7th, 2005 07:50 PM

Man... I'm truly sorry to hear about this. On the bright side, if there is such a thing, your partner is ok. Whoever took the cam, will likely sell it to a pawnshop, or on ebay. It is unlikely that they would try to get it serviced.

As for pawnshops, they are 0 help. My stepson stole a bunch of stuff from us, and sold it to pawnshops around the area. I went into these shops, and asked if anyone matching his description had sold anything matching this description. None- not a one- would say boo to help me. It wasn't until we found the pawn tickets in his car were we able to get our stuff back. Of course, they still wouldn't do anything until we called the cops.

If you were so inclined, and had the time, you could watch ebay for GL1s from your area. Of course, that would be a long shot. You would be better off combing the area with a baseball bat, and look for the scumbags. Or, just let it go.

John Sandel April 7th, 2005 08:53 PM

Marco, I'm sorry this kind of thing ever happens. Thank god your partner's okay. No camera is worth risking your life for. Her dignity will heal.

If she got a good enough look at the creeps, a police report might help. After my apartment got robbed in Chicago years ago, the cops spotted the guy walking down Montrose Ave with my equipment (in my luggage) & arrested him---all based on an eyewitness description from one of my neighbors.

Pete Bauer April 7th, 2005 09:21 PM

Marco, I'm very sorry to hear about this, yet have to be glad it wasn't even worse.

Along those lines...Keith, regarding the baseball bat comment -- the old adage of "don't bring a knife to a gunfight" comes to mind. CNN just did a piece earlier this evening (which I managed to miss) on Nicole Dufresne's murder a couple months ago -- recall she's the actress whose last words while being mugged were reported to be, "What are going to do, shoot us?"

Gents, your anger and indignation is righteous, but would you do us a favor and kindly edit out the non-family-entertainment words from your posts?

Stay safe, everyone!

K. Forman April 7th, 2005 09:29 PM

I'm sorry, but I was editing. Guess I let one slip. I normally try to keep it fairly clean here.

Boyd Ostroff April 7th, 2005 10:23 PM

Marco: sorry to hear about the bad luck. Hope your partner is OK. Everything will look better in the morning...

Mike Cavanaugh April 8th, 2005 09:30 AM

Marco - Let me know if I can help with anything. Hope Karen is OK.

Mike