how was this done? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old April 12th, 2005, 12:15 PM   #16
Regular Crew

i still think it is fake. i dont know how they did it so well, but it cannot be real.
Andrew Cleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2005, 03:10 PM   #17
Major Player

I highly doubt that any digital trickery was done. Each and every shot looks doable...just very difficult. I will wager with what was mentioned before...you are seeing the 1 successful shot out of 100 attempts.

And practice practice practice.
Shane Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2005, 09:55 PM   #18
Major Player

"practice practice practice"

... so they were playing Carnegie Hall?
John Sandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2005, 04:26 PM   #19
Trustee

They don't look fake. Some friends of mine did this same type of scene a couple years ago. It's not hard to sink a ball from half court if you've made dozens and dozens of shots. In our short we did just that, every shot was a sinker from half court. This is easier if you are halfway decent at aiming. Their ball MAY be a little smaller too. In some shots you'll notice shadows that coincide with the ball itself. Try not to think of this being shot in 20 minutes, think all day, or over several days.
Old May 4th, 2005, 05:31 PM   #20
Major Player

I think they all can control the ball with thier minds... no?
Matthew Nayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2005, 02:22 PM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Nayman
I think they all can control the ball with thier minds... no?
That's how I shoot a basketball.

How do you guys do it? :)
Jesse Bekas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2005, 10:25 PM   #22
Regular Crew

it's the RDS guys, in canada, they are wikid, and when it's ur job to skate all the time, of course ur gonna take a abreak and throw some balls around, think of spending almsot 300 days a year in that place, how many days u'll have to throw a basket ball around
Old May 8th, 2005, 11:07 PM   #23
New Boot

if you look at the footage closely, the way the ball moves through the air is not normal--look at it when it leaves the hand and midway to the hoop (the motion changes). to me... it looks like some camera matching along with a particle system and some rendering time.

i've done something similar in 3dmax7 a while ago where i shot footages of a friend hitting a baseball over a 20-story building only he was hitting air in the actual footage. I camera-matched it with a digital baseball, a particle system called "spray", and a lot of tweaking time--i.e. gravity, rendering, etc.
Thinh Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2005, 02:50 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinh Le
I camera-matched it with a digital baseball, a particle system called "spray", and a lot of tweaking time--i.e. gravity, rendering, etc.
why in the world would you use a particle system for 1 object, nevermind the spray system?
Jeffrey Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2005, 03:23 PM   #25
New Boot

sorry if i misstated what i meant about the particle system... i was using it to create snow so i wasn't using it for the baseball. i left out a little detail... sorry if it confused anyone.
Thinh Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2005, 07:14 PM   #26
Regular Crew

All of those shots could have been done by trial and error, but the ball didn't seem realistic at all on a few of those shots.
Bernard Diaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2005, 11:01 PM   #27
Regular Crew

I have a buddy who used to run Mad Circle Skateboards (if you know skating you know who he is so I am not a name-dropper) but he said they used to spend hours shooting basketballs in the DC skatepark.

I would bet they just spent a lot of time making the shots. Seems easier to hit the lucky shot than to do a ton of special effects on a budget.
Brooks Bennett is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion