Best and Cheapest Rig for a Poor College Student? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old September 25th, 2009, 10:40 PM   #16
Major Player

best inexpensive boom pole

check the Rode mini boom:

Rode | Mini Boompole Compact Microphone Boom | MINI BOOM POLE

light, compact, but solid and hits a good length for the price.

Together with this:

Audio-Technica | AT897 - Shotgun Microphone Kit | B&H Photo Video

You'll have an inexpensive but quality rig that will do what you need.

Last edited by Bryan Cantwell; September 25th, 2009 at 10:46 PM. Reason: added AT897 infos...
Bryan Cantwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2009, 09:37 AM   #17
New Boot

Looks like a good deal. Does anyone have any thoughts on using the Shure SM58 mic? Maybe booming that and mounting the shotgun on the camera?
Tommy Kraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2009, 11:49 AM   #18
Trustee

Booming the sM58 won't get you much; it's a dyamic mic designed to be used handheld (i.e, close to the mouth) as a performance mike. You would usually boom a condenser shotgun. The sensitivity of the SM58 doesn't make it a good mike at a distance from a speaker, and its cardioid pattern is pretty wide for a boom mike.

Consider that you also need a boom operator, who needs a mixer or monitor so he/she knows where they're doing. For that reason the conventional wisdom is a wireless lav plus a shotgun on the camera as backup. That's a reason for the Beechtec, particularly if you are a one-man band.

The ntg2, at897, etc, are nice mikes for a boom but too big for the HV20, you have to have some way to mount them (shockmount with accessory shoe) and they will either stick out the front too far or poke you in the eye. This is why we bought the Senn MKE400, it is a mike scaled to match the HV series cameras and is a real nice mike, although physically smaller than the full-sized mikes. IMHO you will quickly tire of the lack of manual controls on the HV cameras for any serious work, most everything you need to ride herd on is in several layers of menus, but it is a quality camera and serious work can be done with it, it's just harder. It is a good b camera to, say, and XHA1s, which I suspect you will want to move up to pretty quickly. I'm guessing you are just starting out and are trying out a lot of ideas you have read about but not had much practical experience with. Start simple, get to know your tools, learn by doing, a step at a time. When you really have some experience with audio (imho the hardest and arguably most important part of video production), lighting, editing, continuity, etc, you will be in a better position to know just how you want to build your kit. Best wishes! / Battle Vaughan/ miamiherald.com retired videographer
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2009, 01:35 PM   #19
New Boot

Thanks for the thoughts and information! :) It's true that I am just starting out in a sense. I've been doing editing and visfx for quite some time, not professionally, for the most part. But I do have a lot of experience on the post production side of things. But I really want to get into doing my own projects, and I'm not sure if research has helped me or just made it harder to buy :P

You all have definitely been a big help to me! I'll probably start ordering soon. One final question, do you think that the Senn MKE is better than the Rode Videomic? I've also seen that mounting the MKE400 on a bracket is the best way to go in order to eliminate motor noise pickup. If I got a bracket, would that allow me to mount a larger mic, such as the NTG-2, off to the side of the camera in order to get it out of the frame?

Last edited by Tommy Kraft; September 26th, 2009 at 02:30 PM.
Tommy Kraft is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion