I need your suggestions on setting up my workstation... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old April 15th, 2005, 01:52 AM   #1
New Boot

I need your suggestions on setting up my workstation...

Hello there,

I just purchased a camcorder and pretty much a novice very interested in getting into editing... I currently have a year 2000 Dell Windows ME desktop (256mb of Ram, 80 Gig of hardrive) used for my recording studio (Protools, mixer, keyboard, microphones and MPC sampler).

I've been thinking about whether or not I should use this same music recording computer for my Video Editing. I was thinking about throwing in Adobe Premiere or Premiere Pro on there and adding an extra 1 Gig of Ram, another 80 Gig of Hardrive and a IEEE 1394 firewire outlet in order to use this computer for video editing... The only problem is I cannot upgrade to Windows XP because my Protools edition can only use Windows ME. I know XP is more useful.

So my second option is to make it simple and just buy another desktop already with at least 1 Gig of Ram and around 80 Gig of harddrive and with an IEEE 1394 firewire outlet and set it up only for video editing...

So would you guys/girls rather mix up the recording computer with the video editing computer or seperate the two??? Or any other suggestions??? I'm not sure if there are extra benefits in having Protools and other recording tools on the same computer I would use for video editing...

I plan on shooting documentaries and instructional videos.. maybe help out with a few weddings and what not..

Also, while I'm already typing in this post, can anyone tell me why video editors usually use two monitors and not one???

very much thanks for your suggestions and help!

AL
Al Daqing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2005, 04:00 AM   #2
Wrangler

I don't have so much of an issue with mixing applications on your computer, but your recording computer is too old to edit video with speed and reliability. I can see your operating system, lack of RAM, and processor speed all giving you headaches that would easily be alleviated with an upgrade to the latest & greatest.

You're on the right track with 1 GB of RAM, and a Pentium 4 from one of the newer chipsets or dual Xeons will make you a lot happier than whatever's in that old Dell. If you're happy with the Dell brand, you can buy a new Dell; otherwise, consider building it yourself, a usually less-expensive option.

Two monitors are useful when editing video just to give one more space to work. One monitor can handle all the editing tools (bin windows and timeline--on complicated projects, a timeline can hog an entire screen height) while the other monitor is freed to display video at full resolution.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Robert Knecht Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2005, 07:14 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Robert,

You mentioned using two monitors and I just got my second one set up the other day. I have one major issue though. Adobe Premiere Pro 1.5 will not let me move the monitor window to the second screen, so I have the main for just timeline and tools and such. I can move the entire application window, but not any one section. Do you happen to know how to get around this, or if it is possible?

I would greatly appreciate any help with this.

Thanks--Mike
Old April 15th, 2005, 10:58 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Be aware that Adobe Premiere Pro requires Win XP.

Get as big harddrive as you can... 80GB for video is not very much.
(1 hour DV is about 13.7GB)
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2005, 02:33 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Also, while I'm already typing in this post, can anyone tell me why video editors usually use two monitors and not one???
Two monitors give you a lot more screen real estate.

You'll need a video card that supports dual monitor... I recommend Nvidia because they have better drivers than ATI.

2- Two computers versus one:
If you have one computer, you can "share" things like the sound card, any wiring attached to the sound card (don't have to move wires around, use a patch bay or mixer), dual monitors, and you don't need to transfer stuff over a network.

A downside is that it may lead to more configuration issues, but that's not an issue unless you are running hardware or software that is picky. Pro Tools, audio cards (with low latency settings), Avid, Premiere Pro (with hardware acceleration), etc. may have specific configuration things to watch out for. I don't think any of them are mutually exclusive.

3- Some video editing programs only run on XP nowadays. i.e. Vegas, Premiere Pro

4- An option you could look into is Vegas. The demo should run on your computer fine.

Advantages of Vegas for you:
It works like a multitrack audio program, because it used to be one. Now it has lots of video editing features while it still is a very capable audio program. You should be able to get into it easily.

Vegas is not picky about hardware. It'll run on almost anything. Like your computer right now (it may not render as fast as a newer computer though). You just need a firewire card + 6pin-4pin firewire cable, about $30 or less. newegg.com, pricewatch.com, resellerratings.com, pricegrabber.com

5- Dell is generally overpriced because all their upgrades are very, very overpriced (1-4X what you should pay). A reasonable option is to get a custom computer made from a vendor like monarchcomputers.com or local computer store, build your own (or buy a base system and add upgrades), or buy turnkey (which would be about the same price as Dell, but with non-Indian support).
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2005, 01:16 AM   #6
New Boot

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the information and help... I really appreciate it and it has educated me. I think I am leaning on building a new desktop now and using Premiere Pro or Vegas and definitely hooking up dual monitors at the most affordable prices.. I won't worry about using Pro Tools with the editing system.. I'm surprise to learn that nothing really works with Windows ME.. its ok though.

Thanks Again!

Al
Al Daqing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2005, 06:47 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Al,

"I'm surprise to learn that nothing really works with Windows ME.. its ok though."

If you are talking about Windows Media Edition, it is fine. It is just XP with media extras. I have ME on my editing computer and no problems. Have Premiere Pro 1.5, CineForm Aspect AD, Adobe After Effects, Adobe Audition, ect.

Just FYI.

Mike

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion