Zoom controller comparison at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old April 18th, 2005, 06:48 PM   #1
Major Player

Zoom controller comparison

I'm looking to get a zoom controller and I know that it will be a Zoe or a Bogen. I want to know if anyone has some experience with both the Zoe zoom and the Bogen model/s and what your take is on the differnces. I've used the Zoe models numerous times and have not fault with their control, but the extra cost is making me think twice. Does the Bogen has the same smooth control?

Thanks.

Ben Lynn
Ben Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2005, 10:07 PM   #2
Major Player

I have the Bogen and love it - smooth, solid feel and very professional look.
Mike Cavanaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2005, 03:26 AM   #3
Trustee

I like the fact that the Bogen/Manfrotto Lanc controllers form part of the pan handle, rather than other lanc controllers that need to be bolted on to the handle. In fact, the Canon ZR-1000 lanc control only fits up to 18mm handles (It can just about fit onto a 19mm pan handle, but it is better to fit longer threaded bolts for more security and tighter fitting). I have two 21mm pan handles on My Manfrotto MK2 head.

I use the Manfrotto (Bogen) 522C, and it works great (replaced one of the adjustable 21mm pan handles with the 19mm pand handle of the 522).

I originally couldn't make up my mind between the extra Record Search modes on the 522C, or the variable zoom Set-Speed command of the 523...as I wanted both controls, but the 523 has no record search, and the 522 has no set-speed command!
In the end, I went for the 522C, because it is quite easy to control variable speed with the zoom control thumb wheel that ranges between fast and the slowest crawl.
It should be noted that the Manfrotto overrides the set zoom control in the Menu of the XL series DV cameras, so even if you set both the hand grip and top handle zoom controls of the XL1/Xl1s/2 to the set fixed-crawl, the Manfrotto/bogen control still remains at variable zoom speed.

Manfrotto/Bogen has stopped production on the 522 and 523 models, so will probably update those models soon. Hague Camera Supports have managed to buy almost the entire remaining stock of the discontinued models, so are selling them at greatly reduced UK prices.
View here for a description of the range of remoter controllers:

http://www.b-hague.co.uk/Remote_camcorder_control.htm

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion