Premiere capture problem/question/stumped! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old October 17th, 2002, 12:51 AM   #1
snafu005

Premiere capture problem/question/stumped!

OK.. this doesnt make sense to me...

through my XL-1's viewfinder and on tv (hooked to the XL-1), the movie looks fine but when i go to capture the footage into premiere, in the movie capture screen i see the corners of my wideangle lens..................... as well as a solid black line at the bottom of the screen?

is there something I can do to fix this?

TIA
Old October 17th, 2002, 05:58 AM   #2
Warden

This is normal. If you want more of a history on the problem here is a thread

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1743

When the server crashed in July (maybe this thread was the cause of all the heat) this thread was very active and a number of posts around the beginning of July were lost.

Several solutions are in the thread, but basically if your work is for VHS or DVD distribution your OK. Only web or DVE work will present a problem from the start.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2002, 06:36 AM   #3
Major Player

One remark though... There used to be a time that it was general practice to set 10 to15% overscan (H&V) which masked vignetting, trace ringing, retrace curtains, black bars. component ageing...Since TV's got fully transitorised, got stabilized power supplies, and the transmissed signals got narrower specs, TV sets got overscans rather between 5 and 10% . For plasma, lcd... displays, the overscan (settable blanking) is estimated to need only 2%. So I would no be so happy with these artifacts if I want my footage to be viewed for the next 10 years without visible vignetting...
Andre De Clercq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2002, 10:08 AM   #4
snafu005

Jeff Donald, thank you very much sir, I appreciate you taking your time to dig up and post that link. I will read that entire thread in detail this afternoon. Once again I thank you for your help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion