DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   I have a large problem right now (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/44579-i-have-large-problem-right-now.html)

Mitch Buss May 14th, 2005 12:41 PM

I have a large problem right now

I have a Dell PC and am running Windows XP. I just got a new software program for burning DVD's and I was going to install it, so I put the disc in the drive and nothing happened. So I went into my computer to click on the disc drive and both of my disc drives were not there. I went into my device manager and it said that the drivers were errored and they would not work. I then uninstalled the drives and reinstalled them and it still said the driver was not there. I have done nothing new to my computer. I actually used the CD drive maybe 2 hours prior with no problems. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas as to what I can do because I cannot use any CD at all right now. I will call tech support if absolutely necessary but I thought you guys might help thanks.
MITCH

Michael Salzlechner May 14th, 2005 12:49 PM

Mitch

if you go to control panel and then to device manager and remove the drives and then reboot the computer does it find the drives as new hardware again ?

do the drives still open and close ?

Are they both IDE drives ?

Do their lights light up when the computer boots ?

Mitch Buss May 14th, 2005 01:21 PM

I have uninstalled them and rebooted the computer and the computer does recognize and install them, but then it says there was a problem during installation, you hardware may not work correctly. When I put a CD in the drive, the light lights up but the drive does not move. Yes the drives do both still open and close. The computer knows that they are there, it says in the device manager, "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)" What can I do about that. I ran the troubleshooter and it told me to unistall the drive and reinstall it. That did not work. Any help will be nice. Thanks.

MITCH

Andre De Clercq May 14th, 2005 02:08 PM

If it worked before try to run a system restore to an earlier date.

Thomas OHara May 14th, 2005 02:58 PM

this exact thing happened to me earlier this year. I'm also running XP on a Dell. I called tech support, talked to the Indians for a while, and they guided me through everything i had already done (HUGE waste of time!). So we finally came to the conclusion that i had to reformat. Lucky for me, i was able to back all my info up to an external HD...btw, the reformat did the trick, but it sure was a pain in the butt. I have a suspicion that this problem we have is related to some sort of virus. Since this happened i am running firewalls to prevent this headache from happening again.

Mitch Buss May 14th, 2005 03:29 PM

how do you run a system restore. I would reformat but i just did that about a month ago.

Thomas OHara May 14th, 2005 03:46 PM

just speaking from experience- I tried the system restore, by myself, and with the phone Tech. neither worked. but you can try it.

to access it, I went to "Search" - clicked "information in help and support center"

typed "system restore"

clicked on "run the system restore wizard"

bingo