XL1s vs PD-15 vs DVCPro at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old October 22nd, 2002, 12:52 PM   #1
New Boot

XL1s vs PD-15 vs DVCPro

Hi Guys,

I've been hunting round trying to find the best camera & equipment for my new employer.

Reading threads on this sight (thank the Lord), as well as other web sites, clearly indicates that the final choice lies between the XL1s - PD-150 & VX2000.

I've got a meeting with a guy from Canon & he's gonna show me the XL1s & editing equipment. I also have a meeting with the guy from Sony for their range of equipment.

Now when I spoke to the salesman of Panasonic, I mentioned the XL1s and he said "oh, you only want to go DV not DVCPro" as if he looked down on the format.

What is the difference?
Why don't I see many Panasonic cameras featured here and on other sites?

From what I've read here the XL1s will be perfect to use for TV & Internet wildlife broadcasting purposes. Do you agree?

Thank you again
Jean K
Jean Kichenbrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2002, 02:08 PM   #2
Warden

Following on your other posts, the XL1, of the three, is the only one that has interchangeable lenses. The tight shots Ken and I spoke of are only possible with interchangeable lenses of the XL1.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2002, 03:16 PM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

For info about DVCPro, see "What's the difference between DV, DVCAM, and DVCPRO?" by Adam Wilt at http://www.adamwilt.com/DV-FAQ-tech.html

Basically there is no difference at all in image quality between DV and DVCPro. The advantage of DVCPro lies in deck-to-deck editing (and DVCPro decks are pretty expensive). Basically, if you're going to do non-linear computer-based DV editing, you don't need DVCPro.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2002, 10:31 AM   #4
Regular Crew

dvcpro cams are in the same league as the dsr-300, 500. Better cams all around but wayyyyy more money.

I shoot on cable access where the quality of shooters in general suck. I'm using a pd1500, pd100a and xl1S and I can say that technically, I'm blowing them away and they have access to bigger cams but they don't stay digital throughout.

Skill is most important as the smaller cams have a smaller range of error when you shoot, so if you shoot well, it'll look good, if not, it's on the fringe. I shoot a faith based show and a buddy does his thing on betaSP. Depending on who screws up the exposure, white balance, setup level, etc. determines who's getting a worse image... and he's got 2/3" cams. If I'm shooting well, it looks just about as good and definitely better if he's off by much.

My access station uses dvcpro so I clone it all to that format. Looks the same as D8 (my portable decks), dv, dvcam, or any DV25 format just a little more tape for reducing tape recording/playback errors, durability, plus locked audio (not really an issue for me).

xl1 has better image controls (1/4 stop exp. increments), sony's are "easier" to use, but if you're shooting a "click" too high or low, it's a half-stop off, whereas the canon is only off by 1/4 stop.

But whatever you get, take a lot of time to learn what presets you like and how they change the look of the image. Took me 6 months of once a week shooting!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion