live video mixer - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old June 1st, 2005, 10:06 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Heiner
hello steve,

my understanding of editing is the work on a computer, i have done some of my shootings, may be it is the software i use what scares me away, may be the time to spend, but you are right, i start editing as soon as a pan and/ or zoom in, do closs up shoots, as soon as i try with the way i capture the sences, to bring something special to the later audiences, i edit.
i think my video are terriable, but the clients come back, so somewhere down the line something must be right.
it is a great feeling to wqatch some of the tapes with the dancers/ singers etc and hear their ah..and ohs....when they see themself.

well, just keep going, and time will tell...i need to learn so much...(i need more money too!)

thanks again

greetings
Well, editing does require both computer usage and time but neither is insurmountable. The publishers of NLE software have done an excellent job, by and large, of speaking the language of filmmakers rather than the language of computer geeks so learning the computer part of the applications are quite straightforward for the most part. Time is certainly a factor - the rule of thumb is on the order of 1 to 3 hours editing for each finished minute of professional quality sound and video on the screen, and the 30 second stories you see on national broadcast commercials might take much more time than that. But that level of care and attention shows in the production values you see on the screen, that's for sure.
Steve House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2005, 01:15 PM   #17
Regular Crew

"After hearing all this, one would worry about the price of such an equipment...
Its price is so competitive compared to its features that it is soon forgotten."

Heh, something tells me that whatever that beast costs would be hard to forget.

-On topic-

Having done some live video mixing work for theaters when I was still in school; Its a real headache that you probably only want to get into if you absolutely have to. IE your video is being broadcast live or projected on screens or other such uses.

Using a setup of cameras to RF Converters to signal boosters running a long line of coax around the theater then using VCRs and broadcast monitors as tuners to plug into the Videonics mixing board; requires at least 3 people and a few hours of setupt time.

Editing basic DV is so much easier; to do what you want to do, cuts and simple edits, any of the basic free apple or windows movie maker software tools will do this, without being fearsome to a non computer user. and it will still be feasible for a single man job and wont take much longer.
Josh Hibbard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion