DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   hardware acceleration card (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/45285-hardware-acceleration-card.html)

Andzei Matsukevits May 27th, 2005 10:52 AM

hardware acceleration card

In one other topic(closed) Glenn recommended hardware acceleration card for Premiere. What is it? Never heard about it

thanks for any help

Mike Rehmus May 27th, 2005 08:30 PM

Something like The Canopus products can run Premiere in real time.

Glenn Chan May 28th, 2005 12:54 AM

For Premiere Pro, most people on this forum say the Matrox RTX100 is the top card you can get. I have never used one so I can't tell you much, other than it provides acceleration for specific effects and adds a few effects too.

There are other cards by companies like Canopus... they aren't as good for Premiere Pro, although they are also good for other associated programs (i.e. Edius).

Rob Lohman May 28th, 2005 06:51 AM

These cards will accelerate certain effects and offer near real-time working
with SD footage (don't think it works with HD yet). However, keep in mind
that they usually tie you to a platform (Windows + Premiere) and seem to
have short support spans (ie, not much [none?] of the older cards that
supported Premiere 6.x work with Pro?).

They usually offer analog in and out as well to support you with that.

Whether you need or want to have one depends on budget and how much
you are going to use it.

Personally I work with Sony Vegas without any hardware acceleration and
I have no need for it at this moment.

Steve House May 28th, 2005 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Lohman
These cards will accelerate certain effects and offer near real-time working
Whether you need or want to have one depends on budget and how much
you are going to use it.

Personally I work with Sony Vegas without any hardware acceleration and
I have no need for it at this moment.

What sort of card or brand would you suggest to use for analog I/O and also to drive an NTSC studio monitor for monitoring, previewing FX and colour correction (generating the FX in software), etc simultaneously with editing on the timeline on the regular computer monitors? Haven't committed to either Premiere or Vegas yet, infact could even find myself using both. For that matter, I'm even still open to something other than one of those two when final decision time comes, so the ideal card would be editing software independent. Hardware FX, while nice to have, is not a priority at present but previewing as you go during the edit (even if segments involving FX require pre-rendering to see as they will appear in the program) and image quality and accuracy are paramount. What I'm picturing in my mind's eye is the standard Premiere or Vegas editing desktop on one or two conventional flat panel computer monitors plus the NTSC monitor alongside them simultaneously showing the actual image from either the program preview as it would appear in onscreen in the final program or from the trimmer window to aid in deciding cut points, etc. I know this is the standard professional edit suite monitoring arrangement but I'm not certain what exact editing/IO card hardware is required to best accomplish it. The computer I'm adding this to is a Dell XPS, 3.4 gHz HT CPU, 2GB RAM, 2x250 SATA drives RAID(0), ATI 9800XT video card.

Andzei Matsukevits May 28th, 2005 11:44 AM

Does hardware acceleration card affect while computer exporting on mini dv? I always had problems with dropped frames while exporting, would that fix it?

Anthony Marotti May 28th, 2005 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glenn Chan
For Premiere Pro, most people on this forum say the Matrox RTX100 is the top card you can get. I have never used one so I can't tell you much, other than it provides acceleration for specific effects and adds a few effects too.

There are other cards by companies like Canopus... they aren't as good for Premiere Pro, although they are also good for other associated programs (i.e. Edius).

Hello,

I use PPro 1.5 and have 3 setups.

1) PPro all by itself.

It runs great and is usable without any additional accelerator cards.

2) PPro, with Matrox RTX100.

Great Company, Darn Good RT transitions and effects, solid performance and great support.

3) Canopus DVStrom.

Nothing but problems, great forum support - but poor company support, they only care about the buck and those that agree with them - everyone else is alienated. :-(

Any time that you add something to your system, you are adding support issues as well as the added benefits that you are seeking. I use my RTX100, so I would say that it represents a value to me... and I would buy another one. I use PPro by itself and it is fine, but I use the RTX100 more often. I do not use the Canopus product in general. I use it occasionally to encode for DVD, but that's about it.

Glenn Chan May 28th, 2005 12:29 PM

Quote:

Does hardware acceleration card affect while computer exporting on mini dv? I always had problems with dropped frames while exporting, would that fix it?
No.

Quote:

What sort of card or brand would you suggest to use for analog I/O and also to drive an NTSC studio monitor for monitoring, previewing FX and colour correction (generating the FX in software), etc simultaneously with editing on the timeline on the regular computer monitors?
Without a hardware acceleration card, you can set things up so that you have:
<$30 firewire card
firewire cable to
deck or camcorder
to NTSC monitors (I'd hook up both Svideo and composite/RCA connections)

Rob Lohman May 29th, 2005 04:22 AM

Steve: I simply use a DV camera or deck for analog in and out, that includes
out to a broadcast monitor or TV for monitoring purposes. The new Vegas 6
also includes an option to output to a secondary computer monitor in fullscreen.

So I don't need an accelerator card to do analog in/out as long as I have a
DV camera that supports that, a DV deck or a analog <-> DV converter like
one of the Canopus ADVC line of devices.