DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Does anyone know of a site like this? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/45877-does-anyone-know-site-like.html)

Kell Smith June 7th, 2005 07:37 PM

Does anyone know of a site like this?

is there a site somewhere where a number of people can download teh same video, edit it different ways, then compare the techniques, storytelling, etc? Or maybe a site where people go shoot the same subject, and post it for the feedback or discussion?
It would be nice to take a class where this is going on but it would not be a practical option for me right now.
It also might be more valuable to see the way things are done by experienced producers, videographers and editors. It could be a very useful tool.
Just a thought.

Glenn Chan June 7th, 2005 10:48 PM

That's a good idea, although I don't know anyone who is doing that where you can get footage for free.

Ideas:
A- AFI or something I believe holds an editing contest for students... but you have to pay.

B- Old Boy's distributor is holding a contest where you make a trailer.
http://films.tartanfilmsusa.com/oldb...o/pg_rules.htm

C- archive.org has lots of free material... maybe you can make a creative documentary-type film out of it or something.

D- The LOTR1 *extended edition* DVD has a scene where they show all six camera angles. You could rip that and play around with it, although you have copyright restrictions and technically it ain't legal ripping it depending what the laws are in your area.

Kell Smith June 7th, 2005 10:55 PM

I wonder what it would cost to set up a site like that. Or maybe we could start a discussion here and pick a topic a month, say sports, or animals, and have people shoot and post links to their video for comments. It's a good comparative chance to see what works and what doesn't. Maybe have like a five-minute length to keep things simple.
I would like to see how different people tell the same story.

Glenn Chan June 7th, 2005 11:36 PM

The cost would probably be very minimal. There are some free hosting things out there
zed.cbc.ca
youshareit.com
rapidshare.de
putfile.com

There are also lots of web hosts out there that oversell web hosting... i.e. powweb.com
"300GB" transfer (probably strings attached), "$7.77USD/month" (you have to prepay for a certain period)
Just make sure you don't go over, because you may run into overage charges (some hosts charge $6/GB).

The main cost is someone going through the effort of shooting some footage and organizing it and putting it online.

Gary Chavez June 8th, 2005 12:04 PM

I think this is a great idea.
I know nothing about computers and putting things on the web but I'm in if this gets off the ground.

Kell Smith June 9th, 2005 07:09 PM

Well maybe they would do it here on this site. You could just post links to your video. Have someone moderate the thread who gives an assignment or topic at the beginning of the month. What do you guys think?

George Ellis June 9th, 2005 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glenn Chan
The cost would probably be very minimal. There are some free hosting things out there
zed.cbc.ca
youshareit.com
rapidshare.de
putfile.com

There are also lots of web hosts out there that oversell web hosting... i.e. powweb.com
"300GB" transfer (probably strings attached), "$7.77USD/month" (you have to prepay for a certain period)
Just make sure you don't go over, because you may run into overage charges (some hosts charge $6/GB).

The main cost is someone going through the effort of shooting some footage and organizing it and putting it online.

Powweb does not do overcharges that I know of. They lock the account and the admin has to unlock it with a reply e-mail. The transfer is 10GB per day. Storage is now 2GB, I think... They have only 1 plan, so they can cut their administration costs.

I use them. Mostly up. Had an issue this week because some lowlife was doing a denial of service attack, but resolved in a few hours.

Glenn Chan June 10th, 2005 08:21 AM

I didn't know that because I don't comb through terms of services and things like that. They definitely look like a good bet for bandwidth then (and they are definitely overselling-if you use a tenth of what they offer, they will not make money).