Question about backdrops.. Need advice at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old October 1st, 2009, 08:54 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Question about backdrops.. Need advice

We're going to do a shoot in a couple weeks. The topic is youth sports. We're using a host for the video that talks about different topics involving youth sports and coaching. We're going to do the shoot both outdoors and indoors... but for the indoor shoot, we want to have a nice backdrop made - a collage of kids or something cool designed. If this was printed at Kinkos or SignAroma would this work with video light up nicely?
Pat Engh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2009, 09:32 AM   #2
Major Player

How about this:

Keep it real simple and use a muslin or rembrandt background to keep the interest in the person on camera. Really nice simple lighting on main subject.

After that, shoot some B roll stuff of the collage thing that you were going to use as the background and use that to hide edits, which if your shooting kids, you'll no doubt have lots of.

Mostly, you just don't want to busy of a background, and definitely through it out of focus, if the space you are shooting allows.

Jonathan
Jonathan Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2009, 11:59 AM   #3
Major Player

I second the suggestion to keep the background simple and defocused. Unless you've got a large-chip camera or lens adapter, you'll probably have a sharply focused background competing for attention with the foreground subjects. You can always try pop-up Botero photographic backgrounds.
Oren Arieli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2009, 12:14 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks for the input... I kinda agree with you a bit. The reason I had the idea was after watching the show PTI on ESPN i thought it would look cool to design something like what they use with pictures of youth sports kids/coaches... see below

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...ony-796087.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...d1120970b-.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...d1120970b-.jpg

what do you think?
Pat Engh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2009, 12:27 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I like those. You may wanna shoot em over a keyable source so you can change or animate the background(s). I found a cheap polyester drop on ebay that works great indoors and outdoors and over the years I have found a roll of linolium is your buddy if wanting a portable cyc. Just paint the back side of it ultimatte green (or blue), roll it up when not in use and un roll it & hang it with C stands when ready to shoot.
Grinner Hester is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion