Switcher with internal genlock at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old June 13th, 2005, 03:06 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Switcher with internal genlock

I intended to take my Video Toaster onthe road and use it to live-switch events where some of the cameras were gen-lockable and some were not. Twice now the computer's hard drive has crashed after transport. My tech tells me the drives weren't designed for the rough treatment of riding in a truck for a dozen hours.

Now Newtek has a device that will switch three sources but that isn't enough, or eight sources and they supply the cameras but I don't want/need their cameras.

SO

Does anybody out there have experience with a 6 or 8 input solid state swirtcher that has internal genlock? I saw the article about the Brick House Video VTB-2DS but it skips a frame and wouldn't be acceptable.
Mike Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2005, 05:13 PM   #2
Inner Circle

There are switchers out there with (frame buffers) [forget the exact term]. They store entire frames of video and solves the need to sync cameras through genlock.

Example mixers:
(discontinued) Panasonic MX-50 - 4 inputs, good quality
(discontinued) Videonics MX-1 - 4 inputs, the very first video mixer with (frame buffers). $1000MSRP when it came out. I'd lean towards the Panasonic though.

Edirol / Roland and Videonics or whatever they call themselves now are companies which make new mixers with (frame buffers).

2- Sorry, re-read your post and noticed my reply doesn't really answer your question. I only used 'budget' mixers like the ones mentioned above. They are typically 4 inputs. You can chain them up, but it makes sense to get a mixer with more inputs.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion