Tint Problem in Video footage - White Balance? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old October 2nd, 2009, 12:02 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Tint Problem in Video footage - White Balance?

I film high school football games. In the late afternoon, before the lights are turned on, I will be shooting the footage, stopping at the end of each play and starting when the offense breaks the huddle. Anyway, all of a sudden, the tint of the footage changes - it appears that the whole screen gets a green tint or later a yellowish tint. The length of time between the shots is only a minute, and I did not move the camera away from the field.

Am I having a white balance problem? If so, what can I do to prevent it? I am using a Panasonic DVC-60 camera.
Chris Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2009, 12:44 PM   #2
Regular Crew

You may have white balanced off a white source without knowing it. Hard to say. You can color correct as needed in post this time and in the future, since you start with the sun up and end with the sun down, shoot in preset. Gain, you can always tweek the color in post. Having matching shots helps.
Grinner Hester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2009, 07:40 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Is your camera set to Auto white balance ?

If so switch to manual.

This will be my 2nd season shooting HS Football and during my first games experienced the color shifting as the sun was setting and the field lights were turned on.

Pre-sets are ok but manual white balancing seems to produce better results.

Typically I white balance twice:
1) Sunlight conditions
2) Field light conditions

If one of the teams has white jerseys will set in manual focus, zoom in, fill the frame with as much "white", pull out of focus and white balance.

Alternative is finding a few Officials together or a fan in the stands wearing white.

Interesting enough depending on the degree of "white" and other colors in frame while balancing the field tends to look greener and the other colors are fairly close.

Once balance is set after field lights condition you should be good for remainder of game.

As a side note taping football games is one of the few times I use auto focus and auto iris.

Here's a link to your camera's User Manual :

White balance adjustments - User Guide - Panasonic AG-DVC60

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion